• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ChordPro chord localization German
I'm really happy about the new chord localization feature. Source localization Default and display localization Scandinavian works great and will be my standard setting in future.
But there are some issues with display localization German.
1.) traditional German chords are named like Cis, Des and so on shortened to Es, As when the chord name is a vowel
see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_signat...anslations
and attached screenshot from MuseScore 2.3.2

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.pro   Chords+Localization4.pro (Size: 539 bytes / Downloads: 1)
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

I can look into supporting that in the future. My current code isn't really set up very well to transform chords in that manner. I'll probably wind up breaking things if I'm not careful, so I'll probably hold off on this for a bit unless it's extremely important to you. There are a number of other display settings I want to support, such as the Nashville Numbering System and Do-Re-Mi, so I'd like to handle that all at once.

Thanks,
Mike
Thanks Mike. That's not important at all for me. I'm completely happy with Scandinavian which works flawlessly.

So take you time. It's definitely a good idea to plan thoroughly to find a flexible solution that's easy to maintain for you. There are so many possibilities. As far as I know do re mi exists in different variants in France and in Italy, Roman numerals might be interesting for some guys, there's Dutch where they use Ges and Gis as in traditional German, but B and Bes (for B and Bb) ...
Sciurius uses a configuration file for chord localization in his chordpro reference implementation.

Btw: I don't understand why Czech handles m vs. mi for minor chords.
The "chord quality" is imho something different than the localization. It's not only major and minor, there's also dim, maj7 and so on. There are so many styles and conventions that I would recommend leaving that completely to the user. 
Please find attached an example from Roemer/Brandt "Standardized Chord Symbol Notation"

What I would like to have is the support of lowercase letters for chords and transposing. Some conventions use lowercase letters for minor chords. Furthermore (and more important for me): it would allow using lowercase letters for single melody tones similiar to ABC notation and transpose them correctly together with the chords.
But: using lowercase characters for chords is not mentioned in the current chordpro standard (whereas I came across programs that support lowercase chords). So, if you consider supporting lowercase chords, we should involve Sciurius in the discussion.
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11

Hi,

I'm not sure whether my problem really belongs to this thread... I'm used to German chord notation and when I tried to transpose a song, everything worked well, except for "H". Is there a way to tell MSP/ChordPro that it is ok to assume German chord notation in my installation?
Holger
Samsung Galaxy Tab A (SM-T580, Android 8.1.0)
Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 (SM-T500, Android 12)
AirTurn Duo
Go to Settings->Text File Settings->Chord Localization, and switch the display localization to German to use "H" instead of "B", and "Bb" instead of "B". If your file also contains "H" in it, then set the source localization to German as well.

Mike
Thanks for the fast answer. The setting is actually there where I should have expected it Smile

I tried it with both set to German and tried it with various chords in the same file. It works for all chords, but neither for [H] or [Hm]. Finally, I tried it with

{title: Test}
[H] [Bb] [Am] [Hm] [Bbm]

with the same problem, also for different localization settings. Might be that I'm just doing wrong with the "H".

Thanks for all your support,
Holger
Holger
AirTurn Duo
e
@eichelbe: the correct setting for your example is "Scandinavian" ( H / Bb )

@Mike: that's defininitely a bug. eichelbe's example is not transposed correctly. The [H] and [Hm] are not transposed.
(I checked it on Win10 with MSP 2.8.7 and 2.8.9)

ichelbe

I've located the bug and fixed it.

Thanks,
Mike
(02-13-2020, 10:16 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I've located the bug and fixed it.

Thanks,
Mike

@itsme Oh, I'm now Scandinavian. Nice Wink
@Mike Thank you very much. Looking forward to the next release Smile
Holger
AirTurn Duo
It's working with the new version. Thank you.

However, it seems that (for me) transpositions for B<->H (German input chords, default or German output chords) does not work...
Holger
AirTurn Duo
In German, B represents Bb and H represents B. Can you provide an example of what is not working the way you would like? Do you have something like a chord listed as A transposed up two steps that is not showing up as H with the display localization set to German?

Thanks,
Mike
I played a bit around... Whith chord style German in file 

[H] [B] [Am] [Hm] [Bm]

transposed by +1 becomes

[C] [C] [A#m] [Cm] [Bm] with Default/German display setting

while I would expect

[C] [H] [A#m] [Cm] [Hm]

And

[H] [Bb] [Am] [Hm] [Bbm]

transposed by +1 becomes

[C] [B] [A#] [Cm] [Bm] with Default Display setting
[C] [H] [A#] [Cm] [Bm] with German Display setting

while I would expect

[C] [H] [A#m] [Cm] [Hm]

Hoping that I'm not wrong with the transpositions/notation systems.

Thanks for looking at it,
Holger
Holger
AirTurn Duo