• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MSP 2.6.8 E-ink: Handwritten notes auto-smooth, despite it being disabled (Max2 Pro)
Smile 
Hi, all! 

I'm using MSP 2.6.8 for E-ink on an Onyx Boox Max2 Pro 13.3.

I've noticed that when I add some handwritten notes with the stylus to a pdf, it looks great... However, any click I make next (whether saving the changes, turning the page which also saves it, or even switching to the highlighter, for example), the handwriting  auto-smooths and looks awful. 

In the Pen Settings, I have auto-smooth disabled. 

I've calibrated the pen using the OS, I'm using the stock stylus, and I don't have any other applications installed except a tuner. 

Here's a video of it happening (sorry for the background noise, my boyfriend is getting a tattoo right now): 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/f2sLB6zUpB52WsMy5

Potentially helpful info: 

Details: Android version 6.0.1
Max2Pro software version: 2019-06-13_08-04_2.1.2_23f6dab

(And THANK YOU for making MSP for e-ink devices! This device + MSP is a match made in heaven.)
That is seriously bizarre. I'll take a look at this to see if I can figure anything out. If you disable stylus mode (which disables the fast writing), does the problem still occur? What about if you enable stylus mode and disable touch input while stylus mode is enabled? If you switch smooth to one value, and then switch it back to None, does that have any impact on the problem?

Thanks,
Mike
Hi, Mike!  Thanks for the quick reply. 

I just tried more troubleshooting, so maybe this info will help:

-- My device was powered off just now. I turned it back on, immediately started MSP. At first, whether stylus mode was activated or not, the bug did not happen. All was fine. Until...

I realized I'd forgotten to disable the hand-sensor in the OS, so I backed out of MSP so I could access the OS' hand-sensor icon, and I turned it off. Upon getting back into MSP, the bug happens when I'm in stylus mode. 

(It happens intermittently at other times, but the paragraph above is reproducible every time, so let's start with that.)

If I have it in stylus mode and set the smooth to "minor" it becomes reeeeeaaaaally hard to read.  If I take it out of stylus mode with the smooth set to "minor," it's just hard to write. 

I'm hoping my descriptions aren't too confusing!  I'm happy to test whatever you need, so don't be shy about asking. Smile 

(Random aside: I like to keep the OS' hand-sensor OFF while I'm annotating... everything is much more responsive with the hand-sensor off. When I'm performing I turn it back on, though.)

Thanks again, Mike! 

--Jill
MSP 2.6.8 Onyx Boox Max2 Pro 13.3 (E-Ink)
MSP 2.6.8 Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Hi again!

Just a quickie update: 
I've been still fighting this, and with our gig fast approaching, I got desperate... I was gonna reinstall stuff.  So I backed up my database to Dropbox but did not have it back up my settings or audio files (I don't have audio files anyway). 

Before I blew it away, I decided to just clear the MSP app cache first, and then I figured I'd clear the cache first, and if that didn't work, I'd start uninstalling/reinstalling the app or even doing a factory reset. 

Praise Elvis, clearing the MSP app cache seemed to do the trick, and I feel like a moron for not thinking of it first. I lost my MSP settings, but it ain't no big thang. 

Of course, I'm a bad tech/scientist because I also messed with one other thing too, so I can't be a billion percent sure clearing the MSP cache was the actual fix, but it feels right.  

But just for the sake of complete incident documentation (heh), the other thing I did was I used Boox' Application Freezing option in the Apps menu and I froze every freezable app (which were only Boox' preloaded apps).  

Anyway, all seems kosher. Yay!

Thanks again for such a magical product!
MSP 2.6.8 Onyx Boox Max2 Pro 13.3 (E-Ink)
MSP 2.6.8 Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
I have this issue too.
I'm using a Boox Tab X. I've now tried clearing the MobileSheets cache and it doesn't seem to have fixed it. I'm not sure how much smoothing I should expect as I'm new to this whole digital music thing, but the one thing I'm not liking about MobileSheets on my Boox so far is that I have to exaggerate the curves in my handwriting and/or lift the pen to make it save them legibly. Otherwise I find that 3s come out looking like a ] and writing music notes (e.g. adding cues to my orchestra parts) comes out often quite illegible as the crotchet noteheads shrink when the annotations save. Also if I write a G without lifting my pen after the curve and before the small downstroke, it quite often (though not consistently) loses the small downstroke entirely, and it can come out looking like a C. It's tricky because it looks totally perfect until it saves, so I think my writing is fine but then I come back later and find that what's saved isn't legible. I don't have this problem with the Boox's native Notepad app. If there's anything that can be done to force MobileSheets to save better detail with tighter curves and sharper corners, I'd love to know!
Thanks. Smile
In the past, when users have encountered this, it's either due to an error with the installation or with the firmware on the device. One thing that seems to consistently fix the problem is a factory reset of the device. If you are willing to try this, first backup your library under Settings->Backup and Restore->Backup Library and save that .msb file somewhere safe like the cloud. Then go to Settings->About->Deauthenticate License. Now you can factory reset the device, reinstall MobileSheets, enter your license key, restore your library backup and hopefully you should no longer find any problems with the smooth writing.

In general, you should not be having to play those types of games with writing - what you write should be captured perfectly without any weird smoothing. If you want the writing not to be modified at all, make sure you tap the pen tool icon twice to display the dropdown, then change the smoothing to "None". This will capture far more data, and may result in less smooth curves, but it will more closely match whatever you are writing without modification. Setting smooth to "Minor" is a middle ground where it will still capture less data, but it will make less aggressive changes to the curves. 

Mike