• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
floating toolbar
Yeah, another GUI improvement suggestion.

The floating toolbar is useful, but sometimes is in the way. I'd like a more convenient and quicker way to switch it on and off than going all the way into the settings.
Can't you put an item into the overflow menu with an on/off checkmark?
I don't really want to throw a lot of options in the overflow menu that most users wouldn't need to change. What about another approach such as making the toolbar collapsible? Something like, you tap an icon to collapse it, and then a small icon shows up at the very bottom beside the alphabet list? Another change that I'm going to be considering is moving the entire filter section to a side panel that will be expandable/collapsible using a hamburger icon at the top left (kind of like what the Google Play Store has). This will open up a lot more options for the filtering such as letting users reorder the filters, choose which ones should be present, and handle translated words better. In theory I could have an option in this side panel for the floating toolbar to show/hide it. Let me know which of those two you prefer, or if you want to explore other ideas.

Thanks,
Mike
I like both options better than my suggestion. Maybe even a combination of both. Good ideas.
I would think folks using it would prefer a one step activation. Would a translucent button to collapse/expand it in the same location work? The button could have 'TB' on it for ID-ing. Smile
The side panel sounds good.

Edit- Maybe a 'minus' in the tool bar like on a browser?
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
I've made some changes to make the toolbar take up less space and look a little nicer. Once I have time, I think I'll add a downward arrow icon to it (as I don't think "-" would make people think it would collapse it), that when tapped, will close the toolbar and a new icon will appear at the bottom with an upward arrow. Hopefully that will work for everyone.

Mike