• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
checkmarks gone when switching applications
I had several hundred of the 600+ songs I need to delete individually checkmarked (UGH!) and then Alt-Tabbed to check the Forum on my browser. When I Alt-Tabbed back to MSP, all my checkmarks were gone, wasted 30 minutes work. Is this the way it's supposed to behave? Why wouldn't its state remain identifical to when I left it?
Did the app get suspended and restarted by windows? If so, that would do it, as the checkmark state isn't saved in the suspended state. You can avoid this by running the app in windowed mode instead of in full screen mode (hit F11 to exit fullscreen mode). In Windowed mode, Windows won't suspend MobileSheets so you can alt-tab without any issues. I'm sorry you lost all that time though.

Mike
(04-19-2020, 04:10 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: Did the app get suspended and restarted by windows? If so, that would do it, as the checkmark state isn't saved in the suspended state. You can avoid this by running the app in windowed mode instead of in full screen mode (hit F11 to exit fullscreen mode). In Windowed mode, Windows won't suspend MobileSheets so you can alt-tab without any issues. I'm sorry you lost all that time though.

Mike
But it's a Windows application, not a Microsoft Store "app" and I ought to be able to Alt-Tab to and from it in ANY window state, perhaps the only exception being if I've deliberately put myself into "Performance" mode where I don't want anything, including my own errant keystrokes or mouse clicks, to interrupt my use of MSP. Does Microsoft require that your application be "suspended and restarted" just because I'm running it full screen? If so, can you warn the Alt-Tab'er that he's about to wipe out all his work unless he first enters windowed mode? Is there anything important OTHER than checkmark state that I must make myself aware will be discarded if I ever Alt-Tab out again while in full-screen mode?
Looking at my code, it looks like I end the selection mode when the app is suspended. So I'll just remove that line of code so that this issue doesn't occur in the future. As far as your question, Windows will suspend any UWP application that is in the background if it decides it needs to (either to conserve battery life or other resources) when the device is running in tablet mode or if the app is in fullscreen mode and is then put in the background. It can then even kill the app in the background if it decides it needs to (although you shouldn't run into this with normal usage). There are some settings you can adjust for this in the battery settings (you can choose for each application whether it's allowed to run in the background, but this doesn't guarantee Windows will honor it). I've done everything I can in the code to try to keep the app alive if Windows suspends it. I can't interfere with alt+tabbing in any way (otherwise malicious apps could prevent you from exiting the application).

Thanks,
Mike