• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LAPTOP AS MS DISPLAY
I'm using an HP ENVY 360 15" laptop running Win10 as my home base and display for Mobile Sheets(MS).  I'm new to this forum, so I'm looking for ideas on how to use my setup with MS.  I've had a problem finding a mounting system for the HP w/15" screen, due to its size.  Most mounts available are focused at mounting tablets which are smaller than my HP in tablet mode.  My latest workaround is to use a standard portable music stand and velcro strap my HP to it.  This setup is a little imposing on stage.  I'm looking to be more discrete about using my lead sheets via MS on stage.  I like having the horsepower of the laptop.  I'm looking for more ideas for using MS.  Any ideas?
Instead of trying to mount a laptop onto a music stand. here's what I did.
Purchased a touch screen monitor (15.6 inches) and hooked it up to my laptop as a second display.
Mount the monitor on the music stand.  
Open MSpro  and extend(move) it's display over to the touch screen monitor.
MSpro runs on the external monitor and I can then use the laptop screen for whatever other app I need at the same time..

You can buy a 13.5 touch screen if you want smaller.  I recommend the 15.6 though. It's larger than most tablets

The monitor weighs much much less then a laptop and it is very thin.   The monitor I have is mounted on the  built in music rest on my keyboard.            
Hope this helps.
(08-13-2020, 11:25 PM)swilkes9@gmail.com Wrote: I'm using an HP ENVY 360 15" laptop running Win10 as my home base and display for Mobile Sheets(MS).  I'm new to this forum, so I'm looking for ideas on how to use my setup with MS.  I've had a problem finding a mounting system for the HP w/15" screen, due to its size.  Most mounts available are focused at mounting tablets which are smaller than my HP in tablet mode.  My latest workaround is to use a standard portable music stand and velcro strap my HP to it.  This setup is a little imposing on stage.  I'm looking to be more discrete about using my lead sheets via MS on stage.  I like having the horsepower of the laptop.  I'm looking for more ideas for using MS.  Any ideas?

Microphone stand platform

https://www.amazon.com/Stage-MSA6000-Pla...nts&sr=1-7
(09-08-2020, 11:12 AM)Jerryghr Wrote:
(08-13-2020, 11:25 PM)swilkes9@gmail.com Wrote: I'm using an HP ENVY 360 15" laptop running Win10 as my home base and display for Mobile Sheets(MS).  I'm new to this forum, so I'm looking for ideas on how to use my setup with MS.  I've had a problem finding a mounting system for the HP w/15" screen, due to its size.  Most mounts available are focused at mounting tablets which are smaller than my HP in tablet mode.  My latest workaround is to use a standard portable music stand and velcro strap my HP to it.  This setup is a little imposing on stage.  I'm looking to be more discrete about using my lead sheets via MS on stage.  I like having the horsepower of the laptop.  I'm looking for more ideas for using MS.  Any ideas?

Microphone stand platform

https://www.amazon.com/Stage-MSA6000-Pla...nts&sr=1-7

THANKS everyone for your replies.  I think I'm going to stay with my travel music stand.  I velcro my laptop to it.  It affords a very stable setup.

On another note, I wish the tech support for MS would include a popup hint for the various menu items when your cursor rolls over them.
(09-07-2020, 02:20 PM)repetedj Wrote: Instead of trying to mount a laptop onto a music stand. here's what I did.
Purchased a touch screen monitor (15.6 inches) and hooked it up to my laptop as a second display.
MSpro runs on the external monitor and I can then use the laptop screen for whatever other app I need at the same time..

You can buy a 13.5 touch screen if you want smaller.  I recommend the 15.6 though. It's larger than most tablets

The monitor weighs much much less then a laptop and it is very thin.   The monitor I have is mounted on the  built in music rest on my keyboard.            
Hope this helps.

Which brand of touch screen monitor (15.6 inches) are you using?
Thanks,
I use on of these stands with my keyboard rig (two keyboards): https://www.amazon.com/Stagg-MUS-ARM-Sma...B000OR7X1S

It attaches to the top of a mic stand. But, I guess it does block me (I put it right in from of me).

But, I use a 13.3 tablet with velcro (on the back of the tablet and the stand) to make it a bit more secure on the stand.

I suppose that is a problem (I had not really thought about before) with a 2in1 laptop is you can't really keep velcro on the keyboard of the laptop (which is the back of the tablet when in tablet mode)(?)

Jeff
I can thread a long piece of velcro between the two pieces of my convertible computer, i.e. display & keyboard base, when folded back.  There is enough gap space in there to get the velcro in, and then I attach the two ends of the velcro together making a complete loop around the stand.  It's completely out of the way of the viewing area, because it's on the backside.

Steve
I use double sided velcro tape. So, the velcro tape is on the face of the stand and the back of the tablet.

So, when I put the tablet on the stand, the velcro on the back of the tablet attaches to to the velcro on the face of the stand, and that adds to the stability of the tablet on the stand.

Is that different than you you are suggesting?

Jeff

(09-29-2020, 06:23 AM)swilkes9@gmail.com Wrote: I can thread a long piece of velcro between the two pieces of my convertible computer, i.e. display & keyboard base, when folded back.  There is enough gap space in there to get the velcro in, and then I attach the two ends of the velcro together making a complete loop around the stand.  It's completely out of the way of the viewing area, because it's on the backside.

Steve
swilkes9@gmail.com Wrote:
repetedj Wrote:Instead of trying to mount a laptop onto a music stand. here's what I did.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sorry for the delay.
I am using a wimaxit 15.6inch touch monitor. Plugs into the USB port and the HDMI connection on my laptop or you can use the Type C connection on your laptop if you have one.  Price was around $200.  Much less expensive then a tablet (providing you already have a laptop/desktop)
I then open MSP and then move the screen from the laptop to the touch screen monitor.
So far it has been flawless.
https://wimaxit.com/
(11-10-2020, 04:47 PM)repetedj Wrote:
swilkes9@gmail.com Wrote:
repetedj Wrote:Instead of trying to mount a laptop onto a music stand. here's what I did.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sorry for the delay.
I am using a wimaxit 15.6inch touch monitor. Plugs into the USB port and the HDMI connection on my laptop or you can use the Type C connection on your laptop if you have one.  Price was around $200.  Much less expensive then a tablet (providing you already have a laptop/desktop)
I then open MSP and then move the screen from the laptop to the touch screen monitor.
So far it has been flawless.
https://wimaxit.com/

I'm still using my HP ENVY 360 15" laptop, but I've found a mount that just barely fits my laptop.  It's an AirTurn Manos Universal Tablet Holder - 5/8" mic stand mount.  I've had to purchase an oversized mic stand, along with a 3 lb counter balance weight to make this a stable mount for my laptop.  I have my vocal mic on a separate stand of its own, so I can adjust the distance from me to each separately on stage.