• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Touching center of screen doesn't bring up menu bar
Making the performance mode non persistent between computer startups may help also..
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
You know, I think that's a great idea Skip. I think if I just don't make it persistent, that may address the issue, as most users restart the app upon encountering this problem, although it's best if they eventually learn what performance mode is. That is also a very easy fix to make.

Thanks,
Mike
(10-13-2020, 08:13 AM)Skip Wrote: Making the performance mode non persistent between computer startups may help also..

In this case it would be good to have an option in the settings to avoid this so I can disable it.

Performance mode is the crucial feature for performers.
I manage small classical chamber ensemble and I own all tablets which we use for performances. I'm the only person who's preparing library, syncing, edits, setlists etc. Everything.
Most of my colleagues (classical genre) are not used to use digital sheets/tablets while performing. Have a look at symphonic orchestras...
That is why Master/Slave page turning mode is sent from heaven. If we have a strict setlist players do not need to touch tablet at all (how fitting in Covid times) and can concentrate only on our performance.
The only they need to know is top right tap to go back to library to choose their choice of music if not in strict setlist mode.

That is why the first thing I have changed in MSPro settings was to move floating toolbar from the bottom right corner to top right corner to avoid its activation and accidental performance mode deactivation.
Because I think most of the people would turn the book/magazine page at the bottom right corner.

In our case the only time person can frantically tap the screen several times is when someone lost Master/Slave connection and is trying to find the right page very quickly.
So if some message would show up every time saying to enable "Overlay Mode" please have a tick box saying not to show it again so I can disable it.

To help new users of MS like Witalij if I would be at Mike's place I would create short tutorial (4-8 screenshots) which everybody would need to click/go through after installing (using MS for the first time). This could be triggered again later on from the settings if user wishes so. A picture is worth a thousand words. Many apps have that.
That is why this amazing forum/app should have video/picture tutorials section too. I am not saying Mike should create them. Users will do.
It would help the sales too. Photoshop, Lightroom, ProTools are complex apps to master but with YouTube tutorials one can learn very fast.
(10-13-2020, 04:33 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: You know, I think that's a great idea Skip. I think if I just don't make it persistent, that may address the issue, as most users restart the app upon encountering this problem, although it's best if they eventually learn what performance mode is.
+1
Il ne faut pas rouler vite... il faut freiner tard
otnt - Would it be sufficient if I changed the performance mode setting from a toggle to one with multiple options:

1) Off
2) Until then next time I load MobileSheets (could use suggestions on the wording, could also be "Until MobileSheets is closed" if users are familiar with closed).
3) Until I turn it off

So if you tap the performance mode icon (and it is currently off), it will just popup options #2 and #3. If you tap it again while performance mode is enabled, it will turn it off. This will support both modes of operation, and it will be harder for users to accidentally just tap the icon on without thinking about it. 

Creating video tutorials and additional guides is something I desperately want to do. I've just been waiting until after this next major update to start working on it. I may switch between iOS development and creating these tutorial videos over the following months. It would be great if users created videos as well, but it's probably best for me to create them so I can link to them on the website, and potentially in the app itself. 

Thanks,
Mike
How about something along the line of: settings > display settings > performance mode selection >
1 - performance mode [on/off] [current setting]
2 - performance mode off when device/MSP restarted [default]. Similar to the 'quality/speed' setting?
The user should still be able to change modes during the session.
Samsung S7+, Android 12
I thought about taking that approach, but many users never dig into the settings that much (and there are already so many settings), and if there is a simple on/off performance mode toggle on the main screen, and I default to clearing that setting on each session, users may not be aware of a way to persist it. Having a popup also prevents users from accidentally triggering it without realizing what they did (or at least it's less likely to both tap the button and the dropdown menu option without realizing it). Having said that, in general, I prefer a simple toggle with an additional setting somewhere to control whether or not it's persisted. So I'm torn about what to do.

otnt - do you have a preference for either approach? 

Thanks,
Mike
I favour this:

- toggle on/off performance mode like it is now
- make it the default that performance mode is off when MSP is restarted
- an option in the settings that the last mode (on or off) is memorized/persistent with the next restart of the app
It's persistent currently, doing device or MSP restart. It looks like the options are to have a persistence switch in the settings or the working display, one easier to get to than the other.
Samsung S7+, Android 12
(10-14-2020, 10:20 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: otnt - Would it be sufficient if I changed the performance mode setting from a toggle to one with multiple options:

1) Off
2) Until then next time I load MobileSheets (could use suggestions on the wording, could also be "Until MobileSheets is closed" if users are familiar with closed).
3) Until I turn it off

So if you tap the performance mode icon (and it is currently off), it will just popup options #2 and #3. If you tap it again while performance mode is enabled, it will turn it off. This will support both modes of operation, and it will be harder for users to accidentally just tap the icon on without thinking about it. 

Thanks,
Mike

I am easy about it. I understand you want to make it user friendly for newcomers.
If I would have a choice no.3 (until I turn it off) in multiple option when I tap performance mode icon that would be great. Or if this option would be deep in the settings I don't mind.
I would do it once and then I can forget about it.

I was further thinking when we tap quickly through the pages:
- to choose a request without going back to the library thinking I know that piece of music was somewhere around the last piece we performed.
- to quickly choose an encore, similarly again without going back to the library. So you tell others: 6 pages after what we just played. Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap.