• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
MobileSheets and MobileSheetsPro v3.0.0 Released
(01-29-2021, 01:53 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: Is "Draw highlights behind content" enabled or disabled on each device? The OS version shouldn't really have any impact on this issue. That setting is really the only thing that comes to mind that has any impact on the rendering of highlight annotations. Having said that a number of fixes were made between all of the updates that impacts how some annotation types were transferred from the old design to the new. Can you restore a library backup on the tablet, or synchronize changes from the phone to the tablet to see if annotations need to be updated for that particular song? 

Thanks,
Mike

"Draw highlights behind content" is disabled on both devices, and has been ever since that option first became available (I vaguely recall trying it when it was added and not liking the result, but I don't remember any of the details).  I just did a sync from the phone to the tablet (the first time I've ever done that), but the appearance of that song on the tablet didn't change.

I just did a full backup of my library (because I'm paranoid :-), and then restored from my previous backup.  In the restore I chose to delete existing files from the default storage location, but not restore settings, because the previous backup was made on December 22nd and is thus missing the settings that were added in version 3.0.x.  After the full restore, the affected song still had the same incorrect appearance on the tablet.  I can make both the old and new backups available to you if you like, but each one is 4.26 Gb (including audio files; I can make a new backup without them, but I only have the one previous backup which already has them included).
I would definitely like to test with that backup file if you'd be willing to share it. Something very strange is occurring and I'd love to get to the bottom of it. If it's easier, you could also just export that one song as a .msf file and share that with me. If that is enough for me to reproduce the issue, that would hopefully be all I need.

Thanks,
Mike
(01-29-2021, 03:16 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I would definitely like to test with that backup file if you'd be willing to share it. Something very strange is occurring and I'd love to get to the bottom of it. If it's easier, you could also just export that one song as a .msf file and share that with me. If that is enough for me to reproduce the issue, that would hopefully be all I need.

Thanks,
Mike

Okay, here's the .msf file:

I'll upload the backup file, but it will take a while.  I presume you'd prefer the one I made today (as opposed to the previous one from December), but please confirm that.
It looks like, for some reason, the annotations were flagged as being created with version 3.0.0 although they are missing a critical piece of data that is populated for 3.0.0+ annotations (as they are really version 2.9.6 annotations). If I force the version identifier to be 0 (indicating they were created before 3.0.0), then everything renders correctly. The real question is how this happened. I'm going to have to study the code to take a guess at what happened. In terms of implementing a fix, I'll have to update the code to check the version number, but then also check to see if the annotations are missing that important data, and if so, fallback to the processing for version 2.9.6 annotations. One thing we can do to fix this for all your songs is to run a simple query against the database to set the annotation version back to 0 for any annotation that is missing data in the newer fields. 

Mike
(01-29-2021, 05:15 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: One thing we can do to fix this for all your songs is to run a simple query against the database to set the annotation version back to 0 for any annotation that is missing data in the newer fields. 

Mike

Thank you for finding that!  I have "Expose Database File" checked, so I have direct access to the file, but I'm not sure how to manipulate it.  Is this something I can do myself?  If so, I'm happy to try it if you'll give me the instructions I'll need.

I can't think of anything special about my database other than that it's old -- originally created ca. September 2012, and brought forward through every software version you've released since then, giving plenty of time for potential surprises to accumulate.  Is there a non-destructive way to rebuild it from scratch?

Addendum:  The database issue you describe absolutely accounts for what I saw on my tablet, but then why does the same song look okay on my phone?  The database on the phone was created much more recently than the one on the tablet, and updated by synchronization rather than by reloading a backup from the tablet.  Would there be any point in uploading the database from each to device for you to compare?

It occurs to me that I'm probably not the only person in this particular situation.  It might be worthwhile to make the query you mention available to all users, perhaps as a new option in the Diagnostics section of the Other Settings screen.
smw - I'm not really sure why your phone was okay. Maybe after I study the code some more I'll be able to come up with a theory for what might have happened. I don't really want to open up the option for queries to be run on the database inside the app itself. That just seems like it could open a can of worms and potential vulnerabilities. I also don't really want to add a new option in the settings that I would have to get translated into all 14 or 15 languages, especially as it's not something that should have happened in the first place. Until I know more about what might have caused that with your library, I'm not going to move forward with changes of any kind. If you want to modify the database yourself, copy mobilesheets.db to your PC, install SQLiteStudio or another SQLite client (https://sqlitestudio.pl/features/), and then run this query on your database file:

UPDATE AnnotationsBase Set Version=0 WHERE SourcePageWidth = 0

I believe that should fix it. You can then copy mobilesheets.db back to your tablet and restart MobileSheetsPro.

palosanto - The resize handles for text annotations resizes the box itself (if you enable a border and turn off auto-sizing, you can resize the box to any size you want). If resizing the box also resized the text, that would make it impossible for users to adjust the size of the box without then having to revert the text size. I have mixed feelings on this one because I see can see both ways of resizing being useful. I could also implement different behavior depending on whether auto-size is enabled or not. If it's enabled, resizing would adjust the text size, because you don't have control over the textbox height anyways. If it is not enabled, then it adjusts the textbox bounds. That would make sense to me if everyone agrees on that change in behavior.

STEELBAS - Thanks for the suggestion. The other arrows indicate that there is a dropdown menu associated with the particular tool, so this is an indicator that you can tap twice to access settings. Due to the fact that this does not indicate that the user should long press the icon, I think this would cause confusion if the arrow meant something else for the undo icon.

Mike
(01-30-2021, 10:12 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: palosanto - The resize handles for text annotations resizes the box itself (if you enable a border and turn off auto-sizing, you can resize the box to any size you want). If resizing the box also resized the text, that would make it impossible for users to adjust the size of the box without then having to revert the text size. I have mixed feelings on this one because I see can see both ways of resizing being useful. I could also implement different behavior depending on whether auto-size is enabled or not. If it's enabled, resizing would adjust the text size, because you don't have control over the textbox height anyways. If it is not enabled, then it adjusts the textbox bounds. That would make sense to me if everyone agrees on that change in behavior.
Mike, I had posted this before I had a better understanding of the border and the text box which you explained perfectly to me on a previous post #36  
but I welcome the suggestion.
Onyx Boox Max Lumi 13.3 -Android 10
Dell Latittude 5290 2-in1 (Win 11)
Donner BT pedal
(01-30-2021, 10:12 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: If you want to modify the database yourself, copy mobilesheets.db to your PC, install SQLiteStudio or another SQLite client (https://sqlitestudio.pl/features/), and then run this query on your database file:

UPDATE AnnotationsBase Set Version=0 WHERE SourcePageWidth = 0

I believe that should fix it. You can then copy mobilesheets.db back to your tablet and restart MobileSheetsPro.

That did it. Smile    Thank you!

...but because I'm paranoid, I saved a copy of the database on my computer before editing it.  If you'd ever like a copy of it, please let me know.
Just came back today its now better than ever with the addition of the nudge tab automatically popping up after text, great work.
Is there a way to make the nudge faster? Maybe I'm just dumb and can't figure it out, but if I need to move annotations or text that I've already written, the only ways to do it are either the nudge tool, which is good for tiny distances but painfully slow for anything else, or cutting and pasting, which is really inaccurate and time-consuming
Surface Book 3 15"
Donner Page Turning Pedal
(02-03-2021, 09:38 AM)Harry777 Wrote: Is there a way to make the nudge faster? Maybe I'm just dumb and can't figure it out, but if I need to move annotations or text that I've already written, the only ways to do it are either the nudge tool, which is good for tiny distances but painfully slow for anything else, or cutting and pasting, which is really inaccurate and time-consuming

Select the annotation with the arrow tool and you can just drag it.  At least that's what I do in my Android tablets, I guess is the same for Windows?
Onyx Boox Max Lumi 13.3 -Android 10
Dell Latittude 5290 2-in1 (Win 11)
Donner BT pedal
In addition to using the selection tool to drag existing annotations, if you want to move a text annotation and you have the text tool selected, you can also press and drag text annotations to move them.
I'm trying it now and I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I select the annotation with the arrow tool, but when I touch to drag it, it just starts a new selection instead of moving anything. I tried immediately dragging after putting my finger down, and also tried holding the selected annotation, and neither worked.

If it's a stamp, it only lets me resize it, even if I zoom in all the way and make sure I'm not touching a resizing bubble.

When selecting text with the arrow tool, instead of moving the text, it'll randomly grab a nearby annotation and move that, which is really frustrating. Even just touching the text box results in the same random on-screen annotation getting selected (this happens just by touching the screen, not dragging a box. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Surface Book 3 15"
Can you verify that you are running version 3.0.5 of the Windows 10 version? I just want to rule out any issues that might have been addressed. Assuming you are on the latest version, if you tap to create a new text annotation, enter some text, tap away, then press and drag the annotation, it doesn't work? 

Thanks,
Mike
Just checked and I am on 3.0.5. I was able to correctly move a text box, but I almost never use text boxes in MobileSheets. It's much easier to use the Surface Pen for making annotations using the pencil tool, but I have almost zero luck getting the right thing to move, unfortunately
Surface Book 3 15"