• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Export lyrics (without chords) as text
Hi, 

I have hundreds of songs in Mobilesheets that have lyrics and chords. 
I often need to use just the lyrics (without the chords) to send to a singer or to post on social media etc.

I have done a workaround by printing to a pdf, changing the pdf to readable text with OCR, and then copying out of the pdf. This is pretty convoluted and often results in errors. 

Is there any way to export lyrics with the chords? 

Thanks,
Brian
Only the way you describe. 

If your PDF is only an "image" it always has to be OCRed and the results differ vastly depending on your method and the quality of the used tools (and it's a lot of work and prone to errors).

If you have music in another format (like ABC, Musescore or other notation software) it's different. But of course you have to create it in this formats first.
BRX, many thanks for the quick response. 
It sure would be handy to have a direct export option at some point. In the meantime, I will continue the workaround.
Brian, 

What format are your songs currently in? If they are chord pro files, you could hide chords in the text settings and then you would only see lyrics. You could then use the print feature and it would only have the lyrics. You could also add a single annotation to the song (it can be anything, even a white box that is basically invisible), then use Share->Export files on the library screen, and it will export your chord pro as a PDF. I'm going to be adding an option at some point to force the chord pro to export as a PDF so that you don't have to explicitly add an annotation to force the export to be a PDF.

Mike
(10-01-2021, 02:54 AM)Brian, Wrote: What format are your songs currently in? If they are chord pro files, you could hide chords in the text settings and then you would only see lyrics. You could then use the print feature and it would only have the lyrics. You could also add a single annotation to the song (it can be anything, even a white box that is basically invisible), then use Share->Export files on the library screen, and it will export your chord pro as a PDF. I'm going to be adding an option at some point to force the chord pro to export as a PDF so that you don't have to explicitly add an annotation to force the export to be a PDF.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'm using chordpro mainly - a lot of the songs are imported from OnSong which I used to use (I much prefer MobileSheets!)I just tried annotations for the first time and am very impressed. I hadn't realized that I could add simple melodies and other things using those. Very useful. They don't actually answer my question, though Wink Rather than a pdf output, I'd love a simple way to export an rtf of the lyrics or be able to copy them elsewhere (without the chords).I could potentially copy the chordpro file into Word and do a search with wildcards to try to remove anything inside brackets, but like the pdf method, it does add a few extra steps. This isn't a dealbreaker, but it's something that I seem to need so often that it would be really handy to have this functionality in Mobilesheets.Thanks,Brian
When you export the ChordPro songs, you can use the ChordPro tool:

chordpro --lyricsonly song.cho --output newsong.cho
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
I wasn't aware of the ChordPro tool, thanks. I did a search and found it. 
I installed the GUI version, but I think that I may need to use the command line version. Is that correct?
I think I found a workaround that works for me and is fairly simple. 
I copied into Microsoft Word and opened FInd and Replace. 
I turned wildcards on. 

FIND:     \[*\]
REPLACE:      empty

That seems to successfully take out all the chords.

If there are any curly brackets, they can be removed in the same way: 
FIND:    \{*\}
REPLACE:      empty

This will probably suit me rather than using the ChordPro tool. Of course, everyone will differ in what they prefer. I still would love that option within MobileSheets if it is straightforward to add.
You say you import the songs from OnSong, I assume OnSong doesn't provide such an option?

To answer your other question: Yes, you would heed the command line tool to export. Not a big deal.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).