• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Access to NAS device for backup/restore and sync.
Hi Mike,

Best wishes for the new year!!

I recall that - some time ago - somebody was asking on this forum about having the possibility of making a backup (or syncing) to a local NAS device in stead of to the cloud.

As this probably is the only feature I am currently missing in Mobilesheets Po, I was wondering if this is something currently on your todo list. And if it is, is it something we can expect to be added in the next year or so ? 

Thanks

Rudy
Yes this is a feature im waiting for too.. Smile
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE Android 12
Samsung Note Pro 12.2 LineageOS 14.1
Huawei Media Pad M3 lite Android 7
Hello Rudy,

Best wishes for the new year as well! You can currently backup to a NAS using the Windows version as Windows explorer will let you select a mapped drive to save to. In the Android version, I recently made changes that may help you with this. Go to Settings->Backup and Restore->Backup Library, tap the folder icon and select the "System file browser" option. You can now use an external application to pick a destination to save the backup file. With this, you should be able to use an application like File Manager + which can connect to your NAS to save the file. Let me know if this works for you.

Mike
Mike,

Thanks for your suggestion.

File Manager PLus can indeed access my NAS, however when I select 'System File Browser' within Mobilesheets, a different file browser (not File Manager Plus) is opened, and so far I have not found a way to change things so that File Manger Plus is opened in stead.
So I seem to be blocked there ...

Thanks
Google's file picker should be able to list any application on the device that supports being used to pick a file. What you need to do is tap the three lines icon at the top left (often called a hamburger icon), then you should see File Manager + listed on the left side if it supports being used to select a file. If it does not, then my suggestion for that app was a poor one and we will need to find a different app that works for that.

Mike
What's really interesting to me is that File Manager + can be used to pick the library backup file to restore, but it cannot be used to pick the destination under which to save the file. I'm not sure why that is. I will have to look into this some more.

Mike
I noticed that when I use Google drive app to upload a file, file manager plus (and a couple of other file magers I have installed) do show up in google’s file picker, but not when trying to make a backup in Mobilesheets....
I installed about 8 different file manager applications and none of them seem to support Google's Storage Access Framework for creating files or folders. So unfortunately my suggestion will not work at all. Until a file manager is found that supports accessing a NAS and also supports Google's Storage Access Framework, there won't be an easy way to solve this problem. In order for me to support saving to a NAS, I would need to implement a large amount of code (basically duplicating all of the code found in any of those popular file manager applications). This is not something I have the bandwidth to work on at the moment unfortunately.

Mike
The reason that works is because Google is asking for other apps to provide them a file to access, and then they internally upload that file to their service. That is the equivalent of using Import->System File Browser in MobileSheetsPro. If you do that, you should certainly see your file manager application show up and you can access your NAS to import files. It's just when it comes to creating/saving files that there is a problem.

Mike
I found out that the file picker works if you are synching your library with an Backup that is already stored on the NAS. But i think the Backup at the NAS  will be downloaded first to the device. Is this attended? I never synched with an Backup before.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE Android 12
Samsung Note Pro 12.2 LineageOS 14.1
Huawei Media Pad M3 lite Android 7
(01-12-2022, 09:12 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I installed about 8 different file manager applications and none of them seem to support Google's Storage Access Framework for creating files or folders. So unfortunately my suggestion will not work at all. Until a file manager is found that supports accessing a NAS and also supports Google's Storage Access Framework, there won't be an easy way to solve this problem. In order for me to support saving to a NAS, I would need to implement a large amount of code (basically duplicating all of the code found in any of those popular file manager applications). This is not something I have the bandwidth to work on at the moment unfortunately.

Mike

ok, Mike, I understand.
Will have to look for some sort of workaround then.
Thanks for looking into this though!

Rudy