• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ideas for upgrading my old Samsung 4 Tablet?
Looking for advice/ideas for upgrading my old Samsung tablet - Galaxy 4, 10" screen.  

Battery life not great, and at 16 G, need more space and speed.  It sometimes crashes for no reason.

It has served my MSP needs well enough, that's about all I use it for, mostly because of it's space and speed "limitations".

I've liked the 10 size, as it fits more discreetly on a music stand, but with my "aging" eyes, I'm wondering if I should go larger.....

advice?  ideas?
I have an S4 and bought an S7FE last year. Normally you get the same text size but more text on the screen.

I reconfigured it to exactly match the screen of the S4, so I get the same amount of text but larger. My old eyes like it.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EP1YUFOwMc.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
Thanks so much, Johan!
Looking into it now.....  

If I do end up going with the S7FE, maybe you can coach me on how you reconfigured it to match S4 screen?
did you get the 64G or 256G?  
do you use the pen for notating in MSP?
should I get the wifi + SD card option?

that Youtube link seems to be about another issue..... ??
Ah, yes, that link is about the 'purple haze' problem that sometimes occur after tweaking the screen resolution.

My S4 and S7FE are 64GB and 64GB SDcard. WiFi only (no SIM). They would be identical if it weren't for the Android version (10 on S4, 11 on S7FE). The S-pen is ideal to make annotations in MSPro.

Note that the screen of the S7FE is larger than the S4 screen, but it is slightly less sharp (contrast, brightness, viewing angle). Also note that IMHO the S7FE is just a little too big to conveniently hold in your hand while reading for longer periods of time. I bought the S7FE as a replacement for the S4 when its screen broke but I decided to have it repeaired to be used as a back up. Now I use the S4 for everything and the S7FE for gigs only.

Also, the Tab S4 (10.5" screen) is not a Galaxy Tab 4 (10.1") so I don't know how things will work out for you.
Johan
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Thanks for your quick response and clarifying all that ....

I just ordered the S7 FE!!!    ($445 including case and keyboard) 

I'll be in touch about the reconfiguration, once I receive it..... should be later in the week!
(04-12-2022, 05:21 AM)faeriegrove Wrote: Looking for advice/ideas for upgrading my old Samsung tablet - Galaxy 4, 10" screen.  

Battery life not great, and at 16 G, need more space and speed.  It sometimes crashes for no reason.

It has served my MSP needs well enough, that's about all I use it for, mostly because of it's space and speed "limitations".

I've liked the 10 size, as it fits more discreetly on a music stand, but with my "aging" eyes, I'm wondering if I should go larger.....

advice?  ideas?

I researched my options for months.  Here is what I ended up doing:
I bought two Amazon  Fire HD 10 tablets.  It goes on sale quite often on Amazon for $99, so the pair cost me $198.  32 gig version is oodles.  They work great with MobileSheetsPro. I place both on the music stand and it gives me a beautiful view of  two full pages of music.  

You can set them up with a  footswitch to turn pages.  MobileSheetsPro even has a feature where you turn the page on one of the tablets and the other tablet will also turn the page.  It works perfect.

I have over 2400 PDF songs loaded.  Many of which I have annotated.  I've also loaded some ChordPro files.  ChordPro files also display beautifully on these.

Go  to Amazon.com and search for "Fire HD 10 Tablet, 10.1 1080p Full HD, 2 GB (2021 release)".  

I really like my setup.  iPads are nice as well, but won't run MobileSheetsPro.  I used to use ForScore on iPad and it was way too expensive and I could only view one page at a time.  MobileSheetsPro is way better in my experience.

One caveat:  You have to get the Google PlayStore running on the Fire HD 10.  Takes about 20 minutes to set up the PlayStore.  Instructions are here:  https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-...re-tablet/

Worked fine for me.
thanks, Keith, for sharing your experience and what is working for you.

I ended up upgrading my Samsung, just got MSP loaded up and running today. 

Most of my pdf's are on one page (I TRY!!!) so the slightly larger size of the new tablet is about the same as a full sheet of paper.

Seems great so far!
(04-14-2022, 07:31 AM)keithpday Wrote:
(04-12-2022, 05:21 AM)faeriegrove Wrote: Looking for advice/ideas for upgrading my old Samsung tablet - Galaxy 4, 10" screen.  

advice?  ideas?

I researched my options for months.  Here is what I ended up doing:
I bought two Amazon  Fire HD 10 tablets.  It goes on sale quite often on Amazon for $99, so the pair cost me $198.  32 gig version is oodles.  They work great with MobileSheetsPro. I place both on the music stand and it gives me a beautiful view of  two full pages of music.  
I've been using a Microsoft Surface, but am considering an Android device now (for reasons unrelated to Mobile Sheets).

I would like my next tablet/monitor to be somewhat bigger, I think.   The Surface displays single-page lead sheets great, and even is sufficient for me for many 2-page lead sheets.  But my sight is getting worse and I wouldn't mind a screen size that came closer to approximating actual hard-copy sheet music.  Only caveat is that it needs to be convenient to take to gigs.

Can you give me a sense how a single page looks on one Fire 10 tablet?  Is it fairly close to the size of a single-page of music?  If so, I'd definitely consider getting a pair.
Can 2 HD10's [or any other device] be in landscape mode and show the top of a page in one and the bottom in the other? Similar to using 2 tablets in book mode to display 2 pages.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
Not without a lot of work. You'd need to have the song cropped to show the top half on one device and the bottom half on the other device. 

Wynton - You need a tablet around 13" in order to show a score at around the same size as it would appear on regular paper. The aspect ratio of most devices is widescreen (16:10 is pretty typical) which is a little worse than 4:3, so even on a 13" device with a 16:10 aspect ratio, it won't be the same size as a physical piece of paper. Some tablets do have 4:3 aspect ratios though, including the Onyx BOOX Max 3, Lumi/Lumi2, and iPads. So a single page on a Fire 10 tablet is going to be around 70% the size of a regular piece of paper (more or less depending on the aspect ratio of the display which I have not looked up).

Mike
I'm still very happy with two Samsung 12.2" displays on Android 4.x, placed side by side and using alternate paging:

[Image: Tablet-in-Action.jpg]

Mind the wooden frame stems from my pre-3d days.   Wink

It carries the tablets by velcro fasteners and features respective push-through holes on the back side to be able to detach the tables if needed:

[Image: 20191229_215257-k.jpg]

Today this would look certainly more elegant, but it does its work even so.

Cheers,
Petra
Playing classical music on a wind controller hobby-wise - and tired of carrying around tons of paper sheets.  Wink
Old thread, but hopefully this will bump it.

I've been using a Samsung S6.  It works well but is on the small size.

I just upgraded to a refurb S7 FE, which looks like the sweet spot to me if the display is sharp enough, we'll see.

But it's fragile and slippery, it really needs a protective case.  
Any recommendations?
thanks,Tim
I have a Dux Ducis case, but I think any decent case will do. It should have a front cover for the screen and sufficiently broad edges to "take a drop".

I also have the Samsung cover with keyboard. While this is nice, it doesn't really provide protection for the tablet.

If you spend a couple of $$ on an AliExpress case you may be lucky. Or not. So I wouldn't do that.
Johan