• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions from long-time forScore user
(07-25-2023, 06:53 PM)Maddcow Wrote: >It doesn't appear to be possible to import metadata from forScore files? <

fwiw - I am also moving over from forScore due to recent issues. And my sister also has a forScore 'pro' account and has also never got a response back about the issue I was experiencing.

Now, as to the metadata --
  • forScore will not populate the PDF metadata when it exports them. However, you can have forScore export a CSV (think Excel) document with all the PDFs' metadata - one row in the worksheet per PDF document.
  • Then, as Mike has said in a reply here, MobileSheets can now auto-populate metadata fields that are in the PDF docs.
  • But now how do you get the needed metadata into the PDFs? Sadly, I can't say that I know of an easy, non-programming, way of taking forScore's exported CVS file and applying it to all your PDF docs so that you could import them into MobileSheet with the metadata.
  • As for myself - I do occasionally make sheetmusic for myself, and do populate the metadata fields in the PDF docs when I do; which is working great with MobileSheets.
  • I use a utility called exiftool to do this. This tool does have the ability to use a CVS doc as an input to it's command params to batch-populate PDF metadata. Note, tho, that exiftool is a command line tool only, no GUI for it. So you need to be comfortable with a terminal to use it. About a year ago I did look for a GUI based tool; but didn't find anything that met my needs. And I'd guess it's unlikely there is one that can also do a large batch populate operation using a CSV input file.
  • I have close to 2000 scores in forScore and am in the process of trying to think through the best way for me to make use of all of the above to get them from forScore into MobileSheets in a one-time batch operation. It may be something on the order of a month before I get to it. But when/if I do I'll post my process and results here.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Questions from long-time forScore user - by Jeffrocchio@gmail.com - 08-01-2023, 05:59 AM