• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
forScore Migration Discussion
(08-08-2023, 03:49 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Mike provided a detailed response to my original post. Below is my reaction to his responses, quoting the text in Mike's response in >brackets<....

Excellent info Mike. I'll need to digest it all; but on the surface I think I'll be able to achieve a good 85-90% of my migration with this info and the update you mentioned in the Issue: Albums Metadata Field as List on PDF Import thread, to wit: "I think what I will do is separate based on either comma or semi-colon for all fields except Artist and Composer. ..."

Specifics:

>I don't know how much freedom forScore allows with creating custom fields <-- None at present. forScore only allows for renaming fields, not adding new ones.

>2. Can all metadata fields in MobileSheets be 'auto-populated' from fields in the imported PDF doc? ... I'm currently looking for...Artist, Album, Composer, Genre, Key, Collection, Setlist, Signature, CustomGroup, Year, SourceType, Duration, and Keywords. <-- Got it. The only forScore related fields missing are Rating and Difficulty then. I hardly ever use those, so I'm good to go with this set of auto-populated fields.

>3. Is there some way to migrate over setlists as well? ... .mss files could certainly work for that. It's also supported with PDF metadata, or when using the batch import feature with the option to populate metadata from directories. <-- Yes, good. This gives me several options to consider.

>4. Is there some way to migrate over forScore 'bookmarks'? I have the "Create Snippet" feature in MobileSheets for this purpose where a separate song is created in the library from a range of pages in the original PDF. This serves basically the same purpose, but I'm not sure how this differs from the bookmarks approach in forScore, <-- Not having played with MobileSheets Snippets I can't say for sure; but on the face of it your description sounds like it is really the same thing. There might not be any benefit to adding 'bookmarks' over Snippets.

>5. Can the CSV file modifications be scripted to make this step more reliable for others wishing to use this process? <-- This was just for me and any others interested. I get by in C++ for Auduino and Raspberry Pi; but less so in the various scripting languages that might make sense here. And the CSV file mods may be easy enough with some formulas and a bit of search-and-replace.

>I'm looking for "Key" at the moment (I don't pluralize any of the group fields when looking for metadata, <-- Got it, cool. Yes, for exiftool I have a .ExifTool_config file where I define the needed PDF metadata fields not 'native' to the Adobe PDF spec. Another user pointed me in the right direction and I now have 'Key' working fine.

I have also attached a worksheet that contains a field mapping between forScore, PDF and MobileSheets - as I currently understand it. This will may evolve a bit still as I work through my migration process. See the sheet named forScore Field Mapping.

Attached Files
.xlsx   0000_forScoreMigration_PlanningWorksheet.xlsx (Size: 20.23 KB / Downloads: 5)

Messages In This Thread
RE: forScore Migration Discussion - by BRX - 08-08-2023, 12:37 AM
RE: forScore Migration Discussion - by Zubersoft - 08-08-2023, 03:49 AM
RE: forScore Migration Discussion - by Jeffrocchio@gmail.com - 08-08-2023, 06:29 AM
RE: forScore Migration Discussion - by Maddcow - 08-08-2023, 10:48 AM
RE: forScore Migration Discussion - by Zubersoft - 08-11-2023, 03:57 AM
RE: forScore Migration Discussion - by Zubersoft - 08-11-2023, 07:21 AM
RE: forScore Migration Discussion - by Morgano - 05-09-2024, 07:38 PM
RE: forScore Migration Discussion - by Zubersoft - 05-10-2024, 04:40 AM