• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ChordPro font size on different devices
This has come up before and it's due to how text file and chord pro files are rendered. MobileSheets will use the entire screen for laying out the file, and each device can have a different screen density, so it's not just about resolution (on some devices, they can fit more pixels on the screen with the same resolution). This leads to different layouts on different devices. The proposed solution for this (which has been planned for quite some time but I haven't had time to focus on it), is to allow a fixed page size to be specified for text and chord pro files. MobileSheets will then render to that size, and then scale the image up or down to fit the screen. This would allow annotations to also maintain their relative positions correctly, and would make it easier to go between devices. It will mean that the file could show up blurrier on one device than another if you use too low of a page size though. 

Annotations are just anchored to a fixed position on the page - they are not attached to anything on the page. So if the layout changes, the annotations are going to remain where they were. Trying to anchor annotations to particular words in the file is a can of worms, because the user can just edit the file, and now the annotation wouldn't have an anchor point anymore. Also, as the layout changes, the annotations could potentially have to switch pages, requiring database updates every time and other potential issues.  As mentioned above, a fixed page size would resolve this issue. 

There is one other piece to the puzzle that I have not mentioned yet. In order for annotations to be positioned in somewhat the same spot in chord pro files, I also save the dimensions of the page that was used when the annotation was first created. This means that if you load that song on another device that will use a different page size, MobileSheets will scale the annotation in an attempt to keep it in the same position across devices. This generally has worked fairly well in my testing - I can go from a smaller tablet to a larger tablet, and the annotations are still positioned correctly as long as the page layout hasn't significantly changed.

Although it's not optimal, if you need a workaround in the meantime, you would have to convert those files to PDF. That's about the only way to ensure the page looks identical across devices with the current design.

Mike

Messages In This Thread
RE: ChordPro font size on different devices - by Zubersoft - 10-01-2023, 03:26 AM