• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rename file used in multiple songs
Thanks Mike.  I looked at itmse's advice, and decided that for my use case I'd go with delete and re-import / re-create over a period of time. 

We're probably talking about an edge case here, especially when you're thinking about other libraries sharing the same storage location, but for what it's worth my thoughts are:
- I would probably want to rename a file for all songs sharing the same underlying file.  You're saying I have a file, I don't like the name, but I want to keep the file.  That logic probably applies to all songs using that file. It would seem a strange situation where the same pages / parts of pages in a different file match the original one, so generally everything would swap.
- Agree this would cause an issue with files shared by multiple libraries.  Thoughts
  1. Keep a track at file level on how many libraries refer to that file.  Requires a separate database / file shared by all libraries. Then if you're doing something to a file shared by other libraries, you can warn the user (how does this work for a normal rename on a single song file? Do you do this already?)
  2. After executing a rename, you could store details of the rename in that same shared database/file. When a user opens a different library, the program can check that file for any renames, and do the same rename update in the recently opened library

David

p.s. very happy that i've now managed to load MobileSheets on to my son's old Chromebook 2 in 1.  That's what prompted this query. It is a bit bulky but can fold round to act like a super large tablet

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rename file used in multiple songs - by itsme - 05-16-2024, 06:14 PM
RE: Rename file used in multiple songs - by davidfarquhar - 05-17-2024, 05:22 AM