• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request: One-touch Backups
(06-06-2024, 05:28 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I'm not talking about permissions. Asking for the directory is what is required and will always be required, because in order for a file to be written to the device on iOS, I have to pop up Apple's file picker to select a destination (which in effect grants permission to generate the file). I can't just save a file path and write to that path whenever I want - the OS will deny it if I try.

Okay, gotcha. I know that requirement doesn't exist for macOS apps, but I know this is really just an iPad app running in emulation. I guess we're stuck with that step.

Quote:As far as the filename, that's not really using the previous settings then.

Well, in this case the "previous setting" is to use the default file naming pattern, which is obviously not fixed but rather generated on the fly. That's as opposed to a setting of "prompt me each time", which this Quick Backup feature would want to bypass.

Quote:I'm fine with it behaving that way (using the default filename), but I'm not sure if that is what every user would expect if they previously had entered a preferred filename.

I think if people want to change a filename (or directory), then Quick Backup is not for them. The use case is more like Time Machine: a nearly automated point-in-time history of snapshots. I think Quick Backup should use a timestamp-based filename all the time. That solves the overwriting issue and makes snapshots painless.

Messages In This Thread
Request: One-touch Backups - by reggoboy - 06-05-2024, 11:35 AM
RE: Request: One-touch Backups - by Zubersoft - 06-06-2024, 03:25 AM
RE: Request: One-touch Backups - by reggoboy - 06-06-2024, 05:01 AM
RE: Request: One-touch Backups - by Geoff Bacon - 06-06-2024, 04:08 AM
RE: Request: One-touch Backups - by reggoboy - 06-06-2024, 05:24 AM
RE: Request: One-touch Backups - by Zubersoft - 06-06-2024, 05:28 AM
RE: Request: One-touch Backups - by reggoboy - 06-06-2024, 06:06 AM