• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where are my files?
Smile 
(07-09-2024, 04:34 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I think you significantly complicated things by trying to involve the "My Files" section of the storage, most likely because you wanted to use the ChromeOS file manager (which is a completely natural thing to want to do). I just don't know what the best way is to inform users of the potential pitfalls of using Android applications on ChromeOS, because this is not a MobileSheets specific issue. 

Mike

I don't really care about using the ChromeOS file manager if something else would work better, but most users would expect the resident file manager to work seamlessly with whatever application they were trying to use.

In terms of the best way to inform users of the potential pitfalls of using Android applications on ChromeOS, I suggest that (as you indicate) this is a broader problem than MobileSheets faces, and not really your responsibility -- at least in one sense, except this is your app and so it is your responsibility in one way or another in order to achieve user satisfaction. (Not to lecture.  Sorry, but I've been down this road many times.)   I'm personally happy to have MobileSheets working as well as it does on Chromebook, though I'd also definitely more than welcome a Chromebook version that worked seamlessly -- even if it didn't support the full range of features supported on other systems.  And in the interim I'll happily pay the price of MobileSheets Chromebook "glitches" in order to derive the benefits for my own purposes. 

Chromebooks are increasing in market share (even in commercial environments) and we can expect to see more of that in the future.  The performance/cost ratio is very high for Chromebooks, and if they ever decide to start producing Chromebooks with the same display aspect ratio as the iPad, I think the results -- in terms of the market -- will be staggering.

A problem for MobileSheets right now is that when you go on Google Play and want to install it, it shows the Chromebook as one possibility -- with no warnings about any potential issues.  Of course one way to avoid user problems would be to withdraw the ability to install on Chromebook, but I'd be very unhappy to see that.  As an alternative, MobileSheets can query the user's system at run time to see what it's running on (Android vs. ChromeOS), and then generate a different interface presentation to the user that just doesn't display the options that won't work on ChromeOS (while leaving the bulk of features intact).  So, for example, the option to change the storage location just doesn't appear to the Chromebook user, alleviates frustration, and avoids the need to "warn" that something won't work. Shy  That way, you wouldn't have to inform users of pitfalls since the pitfalls would be removed.  You should, of course, then also document "Features not currently supported on Chromebook".   Just a thought about what an interim solution for you might be.
------------------
Gary H. Merrill

Messages In This Thread
Where are my files? - by ghmerrill - 07-08-2024, 04:35 AM
RE: Where are my files? - by Zubersoft - 07-08-2024, 05:25 AM
RE: Where are my files? - by ghmerrill - 07-08-2024, 07:19 AM
RE: Where are my files? - by Zubersoft - 07-08-2024, 10:16 AM
RE: Where are my files? - by ghmerrill - 07-08-2024, 11:27 PM
RE: Where are my files? - by Zubersoft - 07-09-2024, 04:34 AM
RE: Where are my files? - by ghmerrill - 07-09-2024, 09:46 AM
RE: Where are my files? - by Zubersoft - 07-09-2024, 02:06 PM
RE: Where are my files? - by ghmerrill - 07-09-2024, 10:56 PM