• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where are my files?
A couple of commnets:

1) Creating a native ChromeOS app would require pretty much rewriting the entire application, as a ChromeOS app is nothing like an Android app
2) That would add yet another version to support, and that would require a separate purchase from the Android version. I would need to see strong evidence that this would result in a significant number of continued sales over the native Android version to even consider this. I'm already struggling with the workload of supporting native versions of the app on three platforms, along with the companion app and e-ink version
3) There is a roundabout way to detect if something is a ChromeOS device (you check to see if has a system feature called "org.chromium.arc.device_management"), but I have no idea if this is 100% reliable across all devices or if it will ever stop working. I also check the system build name to see if it includes "_cheets" or "cheets_" as that was an older technique to identify it. Regardless, while I have this information, it's still difficult in some cases to know what stuff to change at runtime, because in theory, everything should work properly if it's emulating Android properly. Things like the "My Files" storage is an abomination that shouldn't even be exposed to the Android emulator in my opinion, as it's read-only storage. Having said that, it can still be useful to import from. One thing I can try to do is eliminate it as an option while showing storage choices when setting the storage location, but this is still messy and requires injecting device specific logic into something that is designed to be generic in nature, which I really hate doing.

I think you'll find that there are no sheet music management apps that are ChromeOS apps, because I don't think there is much of a market for it (or native ChromeOS apps at all for that matter). Most ChromeOS apps are just web apps. Regardless, MobileSheets still works perfectly fine on Chromebooks if you ignore some of the confusion around the "My Files" storage. So I think this has been blown a little out of proportion.

Mike

Messages In This Thread
Where are my files? - by ghmerrill - 07-08-2024, 04:35 AM
RE: Where are my files? - by Zubersoft - 07-08-2024, 05:25 AM
RE: Where are my files? - by ghmerrill - 07-08-2024, 07:19 AM
RE: Where are my files? - by Zubersoft - 07-08-2024, 10:16 AM
RE: Where are my files? - by ghmerrill - 07-08-2024, 11:27 PM
RE: Where are my files? - by Zubersoft - 07-09-2024, 04:34 AM
RE: Where are my files? - by ghmerrill - 07-09-2024, 09:46 AM
RE: Where are my files? - by Zubersoft - 07-09-2024, 02:06 PM
RE: Where are my files? - by ghmerrill - 07-09-2024, 10:56 PM
RE: Where are my files? - by Zubersoft - 07-10-2024, 04:13 AM