• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COMPLETELY changing database and files?
MIKE:    

Thanks for the reply ..... but what I'm trying to do is a bit different.....   Let me explain:

I'm involved with several barbershop quartets and chorus groups.   For any given song,
 you have the .PDF file of the song SCORE..... and then 5 AUDIO "Learning Tracks" to go with it.
You have a separate file for each part (TENOR / LEAD / BARITONE / BASS), and also for ALL parts combined.

When you initially load the song and then attach all 5 of these AUDIO files to it  (using the 
Song Editor).....  MobileSheets will create a file folder that holds ALL of the files.

I'll give you an example:    Let's say the barbershop SONG is called "Caroline".    After importing
the song itself, and then attaching all 5 of the audio files, you can go to the "MobileSheets Storage Location"
and I can find a folder that looks like THIS:

Folder Name:   CAROLINE
            Contents:        CAROLINE.PDF
                                  CAROLINE-ALL.mp3
                                  CAROLINE-TENOR.mp3
                                  CAROLINE-LEAD.mp3
                                  CAROLINE-BARITONE.mp3
                                  CAROLINE-BASS.mp3

Now note:   If I manually SELECT a group of song folders, and do a  SHARE -> EXPORT files
operation,  MobileSheets will copy all of the SONG folders to the directory I specify......and all
of the song folders will include ALL OF THE AUDIO FILES that were in the source SONG directories.

BUT.....If I then take this collection of SONG folders and COPY it to a different TABLET.....
and try to do a BATCH IMPORT.........MobileSheets will only pull in the "CAROLINE.PDF" file,
and NONE of the audio files that are in that folder.   How can I get MobileSheets to BATCH IMPORT
ALL of the .mp3 files that are in the SONG "CAROLINE" folder?     I have MANY HUNDREDS of song
files, and manually re-attaching all the song files could take MANY, MANY HOURS.

Now.......before you try telling me that I could EXPORT as .mdb or .msf........ there's a reason
why I can't do that.............and it has to do with my ORIGINAL QUESTION about having MobileSheets
support multiple LIBRARIES..........which it currently doesn't do.

I work with SEVERAL barbershop quartets and choruses.   MANY of these groups sing the same
basic song  (like "CAROLINE", for example).....but they sing that song in a DIFFERENT KEY, or they 
have a slightly different ARRANGEMENT of that song......but all these files initially have the SAME FILE NAMES.

If I try to load the songs in different COLLECTIONS, (but with the same file names), obviously 
files wind up getting overwritten, because "Collections" are NOT saved in DIFFERENT LOCATIONS.

I have found a way to do BATCH FILE NAME EDITING in Windows..............  so if I have a 
group of SONG folders for the CLEVELAND chorus and one for the AKRON chorus, I can batch edit
all the folder and file names at the same time.   Using "CAROLINE" as an example...... I can batch
edit ALL song folders for the CLEVELAND group ....and for the AKRON group.....so that the song filenames
now include a suffix that indicates WHICH CHORUS the song belongs to.  For example,
after batch modifying the FOLDER and FILENAMES to include the CITY, I now have:

Cleveland Group:                                           Akron Group:

Song Folder:  CAROLINE~~CLE                             CAROLINE~~AKRON
     Contents:      CAROLINE~~CLE.pdf                        CAROLINE~~AKRON.pdf
                         CAROLINE-ALL~~CLE.mp3                CAROLINE-ALL~~AKRON.mp3
                         CAROLINE-TENOR~~CLE.mp3           CAROLINE-TENOR~~AKRON.mp3
                         CAROLINE-LEAD~~CLE.mp3              CAROLINE-LEAD~~AKRON.mp3
                         CAROLINE-BARITONE~~CLE.mp3      CAROLINE-BARITONE~~AKRON.mp3
                         CAROLINE-BASS~~CLE.mp3              CAROLINE-BASS~~AKRON.mp3

I can then BATCH IMPORT the songs, and MobileSheets will create TWO song folders:  
CAROLINE~~CLE and   CAROLINE~~AKRON.........and it will also IMPORT the  two separate
song files,   CAROLINE~~CLE.pdf      and CAROLINE~~AKRON.pdf.    (with the different filenames,
they no longer conflict and overwrite each other.)   BUT......I then have to MANUALLY ATTACH all
of the audio files, to MANY HUNDREDS of SONGs.....which could take DAYS of effort.

WHY CAN'T MobileSheets just automatically ATTACH every .mp3 in the same SONG folder
that has the PDF file in it?     Look, when you EXPORTED the file folders, MobileSheets included
ALL of the "attached" audio files, but why it can't do the INVERSE OPERATION?

ANY OTHER WAY of EXPORTING and IMPORTING the song collections  (as a .mdb or a .msf) .... you just
get one huge packed file........and I CANNOT MODIFY those song file names and audio file names with the CITY or
QUARTET name.

I've tried just COPYING the modified file folders to the "MobileSheets Storage Location".....but
your DATABASE continues to look for the ORIGINAL, NON-MODIFIED filenames, so ..... that clearly doesn't
work either.

SO...............is there ANY other way around this file naming / multiple groups problem?

--Bill Mohat / Tenor,  "Four Of A Kind" quartet.....

Messages In This Thread
RE: COMPLETELY changing database and files? - by William Mohat - 09-11-2024, 02:16 AM