• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bulk uoload and "update songs if a match is found option"
The other day I was about to ask a question about a possible partial Bulk Upload feature(*), when after a test I realized that I could do a Bulk Upload on my entire library and MSP would only upload the new scores and update what had been changed, thanks to the "update songs if a match is found" option.

But actually, this ain't exactly true. MSP has duplicated some files. And I wonder how the "matching" mechanism is working.

This is my case :
In MuseScore, I transcribed some Jazz solo's and exported it as 3 different files :
* A song-Solo-C.pdf (the solo transcribed for C instruments)
* A song-Solo-Eb.pdf (... for Eb instruments)
* A song-Solo-Bb.pdf (... for Bb instruments)

The first time I bulk uploaded those files, MSP created 3 songs:
* A song-Solo-C
* A song-Solo-Eb
* A song-Solo-Bb

As there is no filename parsing feature, I had to modify those entries manually, the "-C", "-Eb", ... from the title, and added the information in the Custom Group (that I've labelled "Transposition").

My songs now look like (with the title formatted as "%TITLE% %CUSTOM_GROUP: [${VALUE}]%")
* A song-Solo
* A song-Solo [Eb]
* A song-Solo [Bb]

Later on, I did a new Bulk upload just to upload a few new stuff I did in other scores.

I realized that the matching did not work as I expected, and that it duplicated all the songs I edited.
* A song-Solo : edited song, from A song-Solo-C.pdf
* A song-Solo-C : re-imported song, for the same file A song-Solo-C.pdf
* A song-Solo [Eb] : edited song, from A song-Solo-Eb.pdf
* A song-Solo-Eb : re-imported song, for the same file A song-Solo-Eb.pdf
* A song-Solo [Bb] : edited song, from A song-Solo-Bb.pdf
* A song-Solo-Bb : re-imported song, for the same file A song-Solo-Bb.pdf

Gosh :huh: My library is messed. Fortunately I took a backup yesterday.

So, the question is:
How does that "matching" option work ?
Is there another alternative to bulk upload without messing the songs for which the title has been edited ?
Even a partial bulk upload as I intended to do originally(*) wouldn't make the trick:

(*) i.e. the possibility to upload only some folders while keeping the deduction of the songs properties from the full folder path.

Messages In This Thread
Bulk uoload and "update songs if a match is found option" - by lvr123 - 11-29-2023, 08:56 AM