• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change library screen - lengthen and sort?
tl.dr. below
I'm not sure how many others suffer (enjoy?) my level of Control Fetish...  Big Grin but I do not allow MS to control my filing system.  Rather I manage the directory structure myself in a way that makes sense to me, YMMV.

Anyway, I am currently running 9 different libraries, because I play in way too many different bands...  At least being out playing so often keeps me out of trouble with "she who must be obeyed"  Angel Tongue

There will almost certainly be more libraries as time progresses.

There is, for all intents and purposes, no crossover between the charts used other than the occasional duplicated title so the directory structure top level is by band, with the exception of the default library which is unused, and the fakebook library.  Below said top level directories are a variety of subdirectories, usually listed by which instrument and part I'm playing:  Tuba, Trom1, Trom2, Trom3, BassTrom, Eupho, etc. etc. ad nauseum, ad absurdu

One of these libraries contains fakebooks, imported via .csv files (this one may end up being combined into one of the other libraries at some point).  The rest are combinations of music books and/or individual songs.

With so many libraries the "Switch Library" page needs to be scrolled to see the bottom ones...  At first this tricked me because there is no indication that the list extends below an undefined lower limit on the screen and I couldn't find my then latest library.  There is also no scroll bar visible, or at least until I scroll the list, then one appears momentarily.

I do not know if this is specific to e-ink devices or a general issue.

OK, getting to the point.

tl.dr.
I'd like to see:
  1. The list of available libraries sorted in the "Switch Library" screen, preferably with a choice for either an automatic, alphabetical sort or a manual sort.  If an optional sort criteria is not reasonable then I would find either acceptable, though the manual sort might be a little more useful.
  2. The available screen real estate for the library list extended downward (I can only see 7 entries at a time at present).
  3. An obvious scrolling indication (scroll bar?) that is always visible on this page when the list exceeds the window size.  I realise this would be different to other locations that need to scroll so maybe it is contrary to Mike's overall design philosophy - now I know it scrolls I can live with it.
  4. Quicker access to the "Switch Library" screen.  Perhaps under the overflow menu on the normal library page.  (I understand Mike has something already in the pipeline for this so I've only included it for completeness).

In reality, none of these have any actual urgency in my mind, but they would be nice, incremental improvements.
You're only paranoid if you're wrong  Cool
I'm using an Onyx Boox Tab X

Messages In This Thread
Change library screen - lengthen and sort? - by Lawrie - 12-01-2023, 04:16 PM