• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backing Up
That's a great idea Graeme. I think this will be do-able with the next update. This is the way I envision this working:

1) Under the Utilities in the options, there is now a "Update Backup" option. You select this, and it asks you to select an existing backup.
2) Due to the way backups are currently implemented (in a binary, packed format), I would need to tack on additional information at the end of the existing backup file.
3) The incremental backup that is added at the end of the original will contain an updated database along with commands such as "add new file", "update file", "delete file", along with the information necessary for that command. I can now easily identify changes to file in version 5 as i track the "date modified" value of each file.

This would allow the incremental backup to proceed pretty quickly, and would eliminate the need for lots of small incremental backup files. The only minor downside to this is that the library restore of a backup containing incremental backups at the end would be a little bit slower than just one regular backup file (may not even be noticeable).

It's a great idea, and I don't think it's a ton of work (probably a couple days worth), so I'll table it for when v5 is stable.

Thanks,
Mike

Messages In This Thread
Backing Up - by GraemeJ - 05-09-2014, 07:06 AM
RE: Backing Up - by Zubersoft - 05-09-2014, 09:24 AM
RE: Backing Up - by GraemeJ - 05-09-2014, 12:10 PM