• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
illegal characters in path during restore
I used batch import on my tablet to add a number of files to my library. This part worked fine, as usual.

...but then I suffered a brain cramp and unintentionally deleted the source PDF files from my computer. Unfortunately, I'd also selected the option to delete source files from the tablet after the import.

This means that the I only way I can get these files back on my computer is to restore them from a MobileSheets backup. However, when I try that, two problems occur:

1) many error messages of the form "Error creating z:\xxx\Song Title\mp3_filename.mp3"

2) eventually the export crashes with this trace:
The extraction has failed due to the following: System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
at [...]
at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path)
at MobileSheetsCompanion.ExtractProgress.ProcessThread()

The mp3 problem is unimportant (to me, at least; I won't try to speak for anyone else), because I still have copies of those files. However, the second problem is serious. It's probably a side effect of the fact that the files were created on a Linux system (and transferred to Android, which is also Linux under the hood), but I'm trying to restore them on Windows XP (actually, inside a virtual machine running on my Linux system -- I don't have any computers running Windows natively).

I'd like to suggest that the extract process check for characters that Windows won't allow, and either just skip those files with a warning or (preferably!) remove or replace the problem characters during the extract.

Thanks,
- Steven

Messages In This Thread
illegal characters in path during restore - by smw - 01-03-2013, 04:55 PM