• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BIG MESS: Almost all songs seemed to be duplicated by Batch Import
I'll try my best to respond to everything you've posted while keeping it cohesive:

First, I'll start by saying I don't typically try batch importing a folder of 3000 files very often using the companion application, so I'll have to run through some more tests with this. In theory, it shouldn't be a problem. 12 hours does seem like an extremely long time to run through 3000 files though, so something may be off there. It may have something to do with your network setup, I'm not sure, but I'll see how long it takes me to perform a similar import. As for the backup that hung, I don't see that problem with my network setup, but it usually means the companion app was waiting for some final data from the tablet, but it never got it. That could indicate data loss on the network, but I'm not sure. It's TCP, so in theory the data should be reliable and should be resent if needed. If you are seeing this problem often, perhaps I need to run repeated tests until I can reproduce the problem (if possible). How large is your backup file? I'm still not a fan of automatically backing anything up, but if you want me to create an option to prompt the user to create a backup every so often (something like, "It has been a week since your last backup, would you like to create one now?"), I can do that. Backups take a very long time to complete, so it's not something I want to be kicked off automatically without the user initiating it.

When it comes to determining whether a duplicate file is being imported (so that the "Avoid duplicate songs" setting takes effect), there are a number of things that have to be checked:

1) First, the output path for the file is constructed using the storage settings. This takes into effect things like "Create Subdirectory per Song" and "Add Unique Id to Filenames". If you change these settings, you are going to change the output paths for the files, so no duplicate files will be detected and all files will be imported. There are also probably scenarios that could cause issues like creating a copy of a song using the same file as the original with a unique ID at the end of the filename. When MS Pro goes to check for a duplicate file, it will use the database id of the copy, not the original, so no duplicate file will be detected.
2) If a file is found at the constructed output path, a CRC check is done to see if the file matches exactly what is on the tablet. If it does not match what is on the tablet, then it's obviously not a duplicate file as something in the file has changed.
3) If the CRC doesn't match, you will be prompted to choose how to handle the conflict (which is apparently happening every time for you with that one file).

You said at one point that the tablet hung and/or files were locked. I can't explain that. I've never seen that happen after a library backup or a batch import. If you are seeing that on the Android side, I'll have to do more testing to see if I can reproduce it.

I also don't know why any files would be skipped unless either the companion app can't process them due to them being locked or something, or if they have been determined to already reside on the tablet. Please remember that if a file exists on the tablet in the output location (REGARDLESS of whether a song is tied to that file), then the file will be skipped. This means that if a batch import completed, copied files over, but for some reason the database failed to be updated, there may be files remaining on the tablet that are going to cause issues if you perform the same import again. The only way for me to avoid this scenario would be if I change the duplicate file detection so that an existing song has to be present in the library using the file before I will consider it something to be ignored. Otherwise the conflict dialog would need to be shown. Would you prefer this behavior?

One thing you may want to consider doing is clearing the application data for MS Pro (and probably verify that the storage location is truly empty), and then perform a library restore, and finally the new batch import. This would probably eliminate some of the problems you are seeing.

Mike

Messages In This Thread
RE: BIG MESS: Almost all songs seemed to be duplicated by Batch Import - by Zubersoft - 06-19-2017, 06:13 AM