• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BIG MESS: Almost all songs seemed to be duplicated by Batch Import
UPDATE: After applying new MSP and MSPC updates to tablet and Windows, I tried the Import again. Starting library had 4211 songs. Originally 648 would be imported, should have been more. Restoring tablet backup, then trying again just now, MSPC imported 764. When the process said it a file already existed on tablet, I told it to Retain Original, and checked the box to always do this.

764 was good, but not great. Several songs still did not Import. Looking directly at tablet storage, I find at least some of the files already exist, they just don't have database records. How this happened is a mystery. Whether this explains all the failures is a mystery.

Given that import recognizes that a file already exists, could it also recognize that there's no database record for it? Then either (re)create the record, or at least identify the file name so I could further deal with it. Because it would be a huge job to determine which files are orphans.

Find Missing Files didn't help, of course. Though it found some MP3 files, don't know what it thinks is missing, but I deleted them.

Running Fix File Paths found nothing, not surprising because I have always stored all sheet music PDFs in a single folder.

What else can I do? What I'm trying right now is another Batch Import. I have to check Avoid Duplicate Songs or thousand would be re-imported, I presume. Instead, when it found the first duplicate file and asked me what to do, instead of choosing Use Original File I chose Overwrite, hoping this would recreate the missing db record. (Of course, the action dialog shows the name of the file, but it is not one that seems to be missing, but perhaps other such messages would be...??)

Import just finished, and this time says it imported 766, for a total of 4213. (Prior attempt resulted in 4213). I don't know which 2 files it just added, but the missing records I'm monitoring are still unchanged, files are on tablet but records not in database.

Seems like there needs to be a more brute force repair options, some way to assures that everything exists everywhere:
-- Add Every File on PC to Tablet, skip only if already exists (perhaps this action already happens) AND make sure a database record exists for every file being added.
And/or this repair action:
-- Check Every File for a Database Record and Create Any Missing Records. Likely slow but could be a powerful cure for a messed-up database.

Would an attempt at this be to run Batch Import with Avoid Duplicates not checked, will likely take hours, but would that be worthwhile? My big hope is that I don't wipe out my annotations, collections and setlists. Any re-loaded files would be identical in filename if that helps. What does the Import process do to annotations, lists, etc when the underlying file is replaced with same filename?
-- John

Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 (SM-T900) Android 5.1.1

Messages In This Thread
RE: BIG MESS: Almost all songs seemed to be duplicated by Batch Import - by musichawk - 06-23-2017, 11:15 AM