• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feedback needed - supported Android versions
I recently made the decision to no longer support Android devices under 4.0. This didn't impact many users, and was necessary due to Google phasing out support for those versions.  While I was planning on support Android 4.0 and higher for awhile, there is a new issue that has arisen that I'm unsure how to handle.  There is a new interface to connect to AirTurn pedals that  doesn't require pairing and would add many benefits such as the pedal never going to sleep and the virtual keyboard would stay enabled on the device. The only problem is that this interface only supports Android 4.4 or higher.  So I wanted to discuss with users on the forums their thoughts on this going forward. At some point, I'm going to want to support that AirTurn interface, and over time, Google's minimum supported version of Android with their SDK will slowly creep forward. As I see it, I only have three choices:

1) I change the minimum version to 4.4, and around 8% of my users lose access to any future updates. This simplifies many sections of code and makes it easier to support new interfaces like the OneDrive SDK (which has a minimum version of 4.0.3)

2) I don't change the minimum version and wait until I'm forced to update the minimum SDK version (could be awhile). This means it would be a long time before users could benefit from the new AirTurn interface.

3) I try to support multiple APKs with different supported minimum versions. This would be a huge headache, would cause lots of development issues and would drain more of my time. I really don't want to go down this path if it can be avoided.

I'm hoping there are some users running devices lower than 4.4 that can chime in.

Thanks,
Mike

Messages In This Thread
Feedback needed - supported Android versions - by Zubersoft - 01-22-2018, 04:08 AM