• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 vs Android version - and other queries
Hello John,

1) The problem with MIDI files is that there is no MIDI sequencer available for UWP store apps. On Android, I can just ask the audio engine to play back the MIDI file and it will use its own MIDI sequencer to play back the file. On Windows, there is nothing like that available, so in order to support MIDI files, I would have to implement my own sequencer and send that through the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth (assuming I can actually get that to work). There are also aren't any UWP libraries to help with this, so I'm going to have to find a library for a different language or platform and try to convert the code. 

2) Yes, that is by design, otherwise the scrolling state can get really messed up by the sudden change of position. Having said that, I can try to work on having the scrolling stop when the link point is tapped, then resume after the destination page is rendered (if necessary) and displayed.

3) I'm afraid I can't offer any feedback on either of those as I've never used them.

5) As far as I know, sending a MIDI file is not supported by the MIDI spec.  There are a number of things that can be found in MIDI files that can't be sent through MIDI messages. Having said that, I can probably send any of the supported MIDI commands that are found in the file, but the problem once again becomes sequencing. You need code that processes all of the MIDI messages in the file at the correct times. I will have to see if the Android library I'm currently using can correctly process a MIDI file and handling the sequencing/sending. I know that the Windows 10 Microsoft MIDI library does not support this at all. So it's going to be a lot of work to support streaming a MIDI file to a connected device.

Mike

Messages In This Thread
RE: Windows 10 vs Android version - and other queries - by Zubersoft - 03-20-2018, 01:11 AM