• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planning how to sort huge collection
I just purchased this program and am looking for advice about best way of using the fields (within song attributes) and artist/setlist/collections, etc to stay as organized as possible.

Here is the background.  I currently have about 2500 individual PDFs, about 90% of which are jazz standards.  Often, I have numerous versions of the different tunes (because they have different arrangements or keys).  Each PDF has a unique file name.  I also have separate folders with lists of tunes, like: ballads, blues, swing, dance, post-bop, holiday, latin, etc.   In addition, I created a spreadsheet with some additional information, like: artist, key, tempo (described generally as just slow, mid-tempo, up-tempo), time signature, specific style of jazz (bebop, fusion, standard, etc).  Finally, I have created some folders with set-lists. 

The spreadsheet is imperfect and needed a lot of updating anyway.  But I am not looking forward to inputting all of this information on each individual song, through the "edit song" tool.  I am wondering whether there are any short-cuts.

For example: since 90% of the music is jazz, can I select all of the library at once and add "jazz" to the genre? I would then need to correct about 10% of the tunes, but that would still be a time-saver I think.

Second, since some of the tunes are basically copies (but worth having because of variations in key and arrangement), is there any way of copying all of the editing tags on one song and then applying them to another song?

Lastly, if there are any other considerations I should keep in mind at the outset, please let me know.  Again, I'm mostly looking for any short-cuts that will still enable me to sort things as I've been doing so far.This will be time-consuming so it would be nice if I could start with the right approach.  Thanks.

Oh: one more question just occurred to me: would any of this likely be faster if I use the companion app to make changes on my computer, as opposed to on my tablet (Microsoft Surface)?

Messages In This Thread
Planning how to sort huge collection - by Wynton - 06-12-2018, 02:06 AM
RE: Planning how to sort huge collection - by BRX - 06-12-2018, 02:55 AM
RE: Planning how to sort huge collection - by BRX - 06-13-2018, 08:31 AM