• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Printing and song storage
Re multiple versions, don't import the same song more than once!

I find the easiest way to do this is to use a dedicated folder to hold files that need to be transferred to the tablet. To add songs, copy them into this dedicated folder before initiating the import and delete them from there once the import has succeeded (the originals are stored elsewhere on the pc). This prevents accidental "pickup" of other songs that would have been in the same directory as the original version.

To update a song with the Companion, right click on it and choose "Swap File" instead of reimporting.
Swap File means that any existing song references in set lists will now refer to the new version.
Using your current method, deleting a duplicate song will result in set list references being removed i.e. your set list will be shorter.

Please note that a song can be in more than one collection and can be moved between collections, or added to a collection, using the Companion and/or the MSP native menus.

There are posts talking about MSP supporting multiple databases e.g. you could have a separate database for each group you play with). Until this appears, the method I have adopted is to  append a 3 letter collection mnemonic to the end of each file name eg "Bad Moon Rising" becomes  "Bad Moon Rising - U3A". This is overkill but allows me to notice when songs are in the wrong collection. Where a song is also common to another group, I load it again using a different mnemonic (rather than just including it in a different collection). This minimises any issues if one of my groups wants to update their version.
I tend to only add one or two songs at a time so editing the name is no real issue (not so easy if you are importing many songs at the same time).

When manipulating collections etc in the Companion, don't forget that you can click on the displayed column headers to change how they are displayed. 

Another issue may be that you have "Create SubDirectories For Songs" set in Settings - Storage ( I suggest you turn this off).

Others use DropBox and/or Google Drive but as you are still gaining experience of the program I suggest you keep it simple and find something that works for you.

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6

Messages In This Thread
Printing and song storage - by tomrrcruse - 07-25-2018, 12:44 PM
RE: Printing and song storage - by Zubersoft - 07-25-2018, 02:25 PM
RE: Printing and song storage - by tomrrcruse - 07-28-2018, 11:51 AM
RE: Printing and song storage - by Geoff Bacon - 07-28-2018, 06:00 PM