• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sync Two Kindles
Happy to share my point of view with you.

In general I dislike it when companies like Microsoft or worse Apple block or even remove features to "protect the dumb user" and make things difficult for more advanced users to tweak their device like they want.
It's a little bit of that here as well.

But of course I'm not talking about defaults. I was thinking like an advanced options tab or link which only opens if clicked on it and there there are the boxes (already preticked) for including audio files and sheet files.
It may of course always appear "preticked" and also have alway showing a warning about the risks to have those files not included in the backup.

I have a pretty big database and also about 7-8 GB source sheets for MSP alone (and many more in the storage location not included in the MSP database). So If backup that even excluding audio files it always takes
several minutes (about 10 right now I think) and I end up with a msb file that's 8 GB in size.

Actually I don't change much with my source files. It's more about adding to the database with more metadata, new setlists, collections, annotations and so on. Also I backup/sync my storage location over several devices 
independenlty from the backup and syncing with MSP so I don't really need a backup of theses sheets.

It's true that exposing the database and the interchangeability because of the recent relative path upgrade have made it much easier for me. But the settings aren't all in the database as you know (I still don't understand exactly which files do what in Android and W10). For a quick backup of the current database and settings to a msb file the option to exclude the sheets would do wonders for me and I would use the backup feature often which I don't do now. Even a quick reinstall when I (or MSP) messes up my data like the day before without affecting the actual files in the storage location would be possible.

Also a restore of a backup (without files) from W10 to Android (and vice versa) would be possible, am I right?

So all in all, after my latest mess, I would appreciate this "quick backup function", especially after I learned that certain files can corrupt MSP so that it always show the welcome message and you can't access the settings any more. The puzzling thing is, that the same local state directory with exactly the same files content (and of course all the same paths) works fine on the Surface but copied to my W10 desktop doesn't. I'm still investigating this. When I have time I will try file for file to see which one causes the abnormal W10 behaviour.

Messages In This Thread
Sync Two Kindles - by Jerryc41 - 03-02-2019, 03:06 AM
RE: Sync Two Kindles - by Zubersoft - 03-02-2019, 03:14 AM
RE: Sync Two Kindles - by Jerryc41 - 03-07-2019, 05:30 AM
RE: Sync Two Kindles - by BRX - 03-08-2019, 02:07 AM
RE: Sync Two Kindles - by Zubersoft - 03-08-2019, 04:44 AM
RE: Sync Two Kindles - by itsme - 03-08-2019, 04:54 PM
RE: Sync Two Kindles - by Skip - 03-08-2019, 12:13 PM
RE: Sync Two Kindles - by BRX - 03-09-2019, 03:29 AM