• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharp/flat buttons for transposing
I define C as a key containing only sharps, and I define F as a key containing only flats. That's just how I implemented the transposing. There is no override for chosing sharp or flat when using the dialog - it's based on the transposed key. If it's confusing having the sharp/flat buttons enabled when a key is selected that has no accidentals, then I will disable them. Those buttons are not meant to override how chords are transposed, and whether sharp or flat chords are chosen when transposing. They just toggle between enharmonic equivalents. If you disagree and think those buttons should provide a way to override the way in which every chord is transposed, that would require changes to all the text file processing and database changes to store the new field to capture that selection.  As a side note, if you use the transpose keyword in the chord pro file itself, transposing up (a positive value) will choose sharps whereas transposing down (a negative value) will chose flats.

As for why we have the dialog, it's because the {key:} and {meta} values are not read out of the file every time - only when the song is first created. I could certainly change this to either use what is specified in the file or fall back on the "Detect Key By" setting and recalculate the key every time the file is loaded if you would prefer. This obviously requires extra processing, but it shouldn't slow down the loading a noticeable amount. I still think I should list on that dialog what the starting key is so that users can understand how many steps their chords are being transposed. 

Thanks,
Mike

Messages In This Thread
Sharp/flat buttons for transposing - by itsme - 09-14-2019, 06:12 PM
RE: Sharp/flat buttons for transposing - by itsme - 09-14-2019, 06:23 PM
RE: Sharp/flat buttons for transposing - by Zubersoft - 10-15-2019, 02:26 PM
RE: Sharp/flat buttons for transposing - by itsme - 10-26-2019, 12:57 AM
RE: Sharp/flat buttons for transposing - by itsme - 12-28-2019, 06:29 PM
RE: Sharp/flat buttons for transposing - by itsme - 01-04-2020, 07:32 AM