• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Importing ChordPro fields
(03-30-2020, 07:32 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: That would require a different implementation from what is in place. I would need to parse out all the metadata from the file before importing it to display that, but what happens if you import both a .cho and a .pdf? Or two .cho files? The metadata fields give you a way to specify what additional metadata will be assigned to each song that is created. It wouldn't make sense to show the metadata parsed out from the .cho file when that wouldn't apply to the other files that are being imported. So I would either have to only allow a single .cho file to be imported at a time (which users certainly wouldn't like), or I would have to come up with a different UI where you could specify for each individual file you've selected, what metadata will be applied to it. I'm not even sure what that would look like off the top of my head, because some users import hundreds of files at once this way, so you'd have to provide an easy-to-use and meaningful way for them to apply metadata to any one of those files, but also still provide a way to specify metadata for every song that is created.

As far as updating existing metadata when a .cho file is imported, what is the correct way to handle this? Do I rename existing metadata fields (this is more complex as I have to compare what the song is using to what is in the file, but how will I correctly match up the fields especially if multiple values are specified)? Do I just add new ones? If I add new ones, do I remove the song tied to the .cho from the old metadata groups and add it to the new? What happens to the old fields if you don't want them anymore? Do I force users to have to cleanup old metadata if they happen to edit the file? It doesn't seem to me like there is a very clean way to handle this...

Mike
Thanks, Mike. I wasn't even thinking about mass importation. Your questions are great ones and I'm not smart enough to answer them without thinking about it for awhile!

Messages In This Thread
Importing ChordPro fields - by KHS - 03-28-2020, 01:02 PM
RE: Importing ChordPro fields - by Zubersoft - 03-28-2020, 04:16 PM
RE: Importing ChordPro fields - by KHS - 03-29-2020, 06:00 AM
RE: Importing ChordPro fields - by sciurius - 03-29-2020, 06:29 PM
RE: Importing ChordPro fields - by KHS - 03-29-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: Importing ChordPro fields - by Zubersoft - 03-30-2020, 03:58 AM
RE: Importing ChordPro fields - by KHS - 03-30-2020, 04:14 AM
RE: Importing ChordPro fields - by KHS - 03-30-2020, 04:22 AM
RE: Importing ChordPro fields - by Zubersoft - 03-30-2020, 07:32 AM
RE: Importing ChordPro fields - by KHS - 03-30-2020, 10:51 AM