• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Recommendations for Windows 10 computer to run MSP?
I have looked at Ali Express. So, you have had good experience with them? Are you in the US?

Jeff

(11-06-2020, 09:18 PM)Andrew9999 Wrote: Here's my experience with MSP and Windows FYI...

Before COVID I only used MSP with Android on large tablets (13.3") - currently Lenovo.  I ended up simply placing the tablet on a normal Stagg music stand (not one of those wobbly portable ones) with a bluetooth peddle.

With the advent of COVID I now play mostly remotely using Jamulus - which is not available for Android yet (work in progress).  So I have Jamulus running on a Windows PC.  I've also started using virtual sampled instruments more via a Reaper DAW with a MIDI keyboard instead of a piano (I'm finding it a very interesting area to explore in lockdown).  My setup currently is therefore:

- Windows 10 Pro - with multiple monitors, and a spec primarily determined by the needs of Reaper (good sampled instruments can consume a lot of disk space and memory);
- Wired not wi-fi - Jamulus latency is lower that way, needed for "live" sessions;
- An external sound card (Focusrite Scarlett, connected via USB to manage all my analogue inputs/outputs, and MIDI connection to the PC - vastly better quality and lower latency than Windows native audio);
- MSP on its own monitor, with Reaper and Jamulus on another.

So using Windows has become much more of a logical progression for me.  Given the above it wouldn't make sense to use a Windows laptop, for example.  I can get/build a good spec PC for much less money and spend the saving on some good quality large monitors.

Some of the people I play with are still using Android tablets - so we share setlists by exporting songs/files via e.g. OneDrive, and then sync song selection and page turns with MSP via the Internet. 

When we can play together physically again, I'll start to use my Android tablet - but large Android tablets aren't hugely expensive unless you want something unnecessarily high spec like a Samsung.  I tend to buy Chinese models off AliExpress at around £150.  Minimum spec, but fine for MSP, which doesn't demand a lot of hardware.

--Andrew

Messages In This Thread
RE: Recommendations for Windows 10 computer to run MSP? - by jeffn1 - 11-07-2020, 02:41 AM