• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick links
Hi Mike, thanks for the quick reply.

I like the idea of the shuffle sort - hadn't thought of that. It can't be used with the filtered library (is there a reason for that?) but I'll start using groups instead of just filters. It might still be nice to have a random choice option somewhere in the song view (perhaps as one of the options for the programmable icon in the quick action box) but the shuffle sort should work for me.

I think the need for the quick link to a song/setlist might have been created by the way I've been using the app. Most of our bookings are for wedding ceremonies so I've been filtering the library to the kind of pieces they want played before the ceremony (say, light classical) and then using the question mark to choose them at random, then when the ceremony starts I've been using a setlist for the pieces they've requested during the ceremony. To get to that setlist I've had to get out of the song I'm in back to the library, go to the setlists tab, kill the filters (because they act on the songs in the setlist so some of the songs might not show), then select the setlist. That all took longer than I wanted. We've got a wedding today so I'll try creating a shuffled (pre-filtered) setlist for pieces before the ceremony, as well as the setlist for the pieces played during the ceremony. That way when the processional starts I'll just have to go back to the first setlist, then back to the list of setlists, then choose the second setlist. I won't have to kill the filters because they will have been pre-applied to the setlists. The e-Ink tablets are slower than regular ones but hopefully that will be quick enough.

I'm very happy to keep using the app with 'songs' instead of 'scores' or 'pieces' - it's a really good app and I happily recommend it to any muso who'll listen. If at some stage you end up with time to change that then that would be great but other changes that you have scheduled (in particular versioning but also the ability to control which filters are shown) are way more important for me, and I imagine the iOS version will have to be high up on your list too. Having said that, I think the kind of casual pedantry that makes me reluctant to use 'songs' for pieces that aren't sung is fairly common among classical musicians and I know that when I first started looking at the app and saw that you were calling files 'songs' my first thought wasn't that the app might've been aimed at singers or people working primarily with sung songs, it was that it might not be a very good app (a fear that was allayed a bit if I'm honest by your use of the Chopin as the sample score). I hope it doesn't stop some people from using the app.

Thanks again for your help. Guy

Messages In This Thread
Quick links - by Oz Cello - 09-11-2020, 10:42 AM
RE: Quick links - by DonC - 09-11-2020, 08:46 PM
RE: Quick links - by Zubersoft - 09-12-2020, 04:19 AM
RE: Quick links - by Oz Cello - 09-12-2020, 11:48 AM
RE: Quick links - by Oz Cello - 10-01-2020, 06:02 PM
RE: Quick links - by BRX - 10-01-2020, 06:10 PM
RE: Quick links - by Oz Cello - 10-02-2020, 02:47 PM
RE: Quick links - by Geoff Bacon - 10-02-2020, 05:55 PM
RE: Quick links - by BRX - 10-02-2020, 08:38 PM
RE: Quick links - by Oz Cello - 10-02-2020, 11:02 PM