• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
File imports consistency
(04-10-2021, 03:38 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: As I listed, the second icon that looks like a gallery icon brings up the Google file picker, which is what you want to use, not the cloud icon. That is identical to what happens when you click Import->External/Cloud. Are you saying that if you click that icon you can't import from something you expect to be able to? That doesn't make a lot of sense, but I can look into that if that is what you are saying. The reason I set it up that way is that the cloud icon is linked to cloud services that MobileSheetsPro has integration with. The Google File Picker can be used to import from other applications on the device, not just cloud services. So it would be incorrect for me to group that under the cloud icon. If none of this is intuitive, I can remove that second icon and when you tap the folder icon, it will then display a dropdown with "Local File" and "External/Cloud" if that would be preferred. Or I can remove both that icon and the cloud icon, and just group everything under the folder icon to more closely match the import dropdown on the main menu. Some users have disabled the cloud integration for services they don't use, which means that when they tap the cloud icon it uses the only service that is enabled, meaning they can access it with a single tap instead of two. So this would be less convenient for those users.

As far as backup/restore, that is a different beast altogether. When a destination is selected for a backup, I need to be able to copy a file to that destination, and you can't use the Google File Picker to select a destination for saving a file. It just doesn't work that way - the file picker can only be used to pick an existing file in the file system or to pick a file through a different application on the device. Google does have an intent for selecting a folder to write to, but that does not support selecting a cloud destination, or a destination through another application. It can only be used to pick a folder on the local file system, which I already support through my own browser. With restoring a file, in theory I could try to support using the Google File Picker for that, but it forces me to go through a different API for accessing the file data. I'm not given a simple file path or anything nice like that, because the file may be provided through another application and/or the cloud. Instead, I'm given a cursor which lets me access properties of the file, including its data, but then reading the data is much slower than what is possible with direct file access. So I may look into supporting that at some point for the library restore, but it's a not a high priority for me at the moment as you can just copy the file to the device using an external application and then restore the library.

Mike
You are right, the gallery icon actually brings up the Google File picker. I didn't even try, because I had been thinking that that icon would only serve for importing image files. So I can indeed import files from Nextcloud...Maybe having those two first icons doing mostly the same thing is a bit confusing (file manager + google file picker).
Regarding backup/restore, it's perfectly true you can't use the file picker to save a file. What most people do here, is using a share/send option, which basically open all the possible destinations for the file we're dealing with (i can send it to nextcloud, to gmail, or to telegram), this could be an interesting feature.

Messages In This Thread
File imports consistency - by eBug - 04-08-2021, 07:38 PM
RE: File imports consistency - by Zubersoft - 04-09-2021, 03:01 AM
RE: File imports consistency - by eBug - 04-09-2021, 09:19 AM
RE: File imports consistency - by sciurius - 04-09-2021, 06:32 PM
RE: File imports consistency - by eBug - 04-09-2021, 08:27 PM
RE: File imports consistency - by Zubersoft - 04-10-2021, 03:38 AM
RE: File imports consistency - by eBug - 04-10-2021, 08:37 AM
RE: File imports consistency - by Zubersoft - 04-10-2021, 03:52 AM
RE: File imports consistency - by eBug - 04-10-2021, 08:40 AM
RE: File imports consistency - by sciurius - 04-10-2021, 04:46 AM
RE: File imports consistency - by Zubersoft - 04-10-2021, 10:00 AM