• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cloud backup/sync questions
Hello Steve,

With Dropbox, I need to request "Full Dropbox" access (https://developers.dropbox.com/oauth-guide) in order to access existing folders on a user's Dropbox account. In order to rename or delete files/folders, I have to request write permissions for file content. This results in Dropbox prompting you for complete access to every folder and file. The only way to limit things to a single folder through their API that I can see is if you use the option to limit access only to files/folders created by your own application (it essentially sandboxes the application). This means MobileSheetsPro would not have access to existing files/folders on Dropbox, which kind of eliminates the whole point for most users, as they want to be able to import their existing files. I don't see anywhere in Dropbox's documentation where an application can still see all of the existing files/folders, but only has access to a single folder that the user designates. I also can't programmatically limit the type of access I have based on a user selection, because the access stuff has to be set up beforehand through Dropbox's website. If I eliminated the ability to rename or delete files/folders, then I could limit it to read-only access, but I still need to be able to read all files/folders in order to import them. 

As far as Google Drive, I'm using Google's own library for Drive access. Google, for some odd reason, decided that the ability to access existing accounts on the device requires the contacts permission. If you use Import->Google Drive, you will see that it just asks you to pick from existing email addresses that have been set up on the device. The ability to query for those accounts requires the contacts permission. It's horribly named and confusing to users, but that's just how Google set it up, so there is nothing I can do about it. I am NOT requiring access to your phone contacts or any other contact information. If you actually look at the breakdown of what permissions MobileSheetsPro is requesting, it's literally just permission to access accounts, which does not provide access to other contact information. 

Mike

Messages In This Thread
Cloud backup/sync questions - by SteveB - 08-11-2021, 11:23 PM
RE: Cloud backup/sync questions - by Zubersoft - 08-12-2021, 02:45 AM
RE: Cloud backup/sync questions - by SteveB - 08-12-2021, 03:04 AM
RE: Cloud backup/sync questions - by Zubersoft - 08-12-2021, 06:04 AM