• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new chromebook won't connect to compaion - SUCCESS!
I just purchased an HP chromebook x360 14a -- looks like a fine machine, and it has a 14" touchscreen (big enough for my old eyes -- bigger than my old Hanspree tablets that are slowly dying). It has a USB A socket on one side, so my USB pedal plugs right in. It charges via USB C (one socket on each side). The volume keys are on the same side as the USB A socket, so are on top in portrait mode. No SD card, but its 64 GB is plenty for me. Cost $282+tax on Amazon.

After a short hassle getting my company to enable the Google Play Store on ChromeOS, Mobile Sheets Pro installed, and I could import some screenshots just fine.

It won't connect to the Companion app. As suggested elsewhere, I tried "Manual WiFi Connect" on the Companion, to the IP displayed by clicking "Connect to Companion" on the chromebook. But that IP is 100.115.92.14, which fails. Whois says that is a private address space. It looks like the Chromebook is doing NAT for the Android app, so systems outside the Chromebook cannot connect in to it, and it cannot see responses from outside the chromebook.

Is there any way to change this so the Companion can connect? I'm pretty sure this must be changed in ChromeOS.

I suppose I can transfer files via USB drive, but would rather keep my current workflow via the Companion.

Messages In This Thread
new chromebook won't connect to compaion - SUCCESS! - by tjrob - 12-03-2021, 06:13 AM