• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new chromebook won't connect to compaion - SUCCESS!
Unfortunately, Chrome OS implements a firewall between Android applications and the OS. The app is completely unaware that the network it is using is a virtual network. I have done a lot of research on this and Google intentionally designed it so that Android applications cannot get the real IP address. There is nothing I can do on the software side. I have looped through all the IP addresses in code on my chromebooks, and I'm never given the real IP address. The only way for a user to find the IP address is in the OS WiFi settings (you can click on an information icon next to the active network). You can see screenshots here on how to access the information: https://www.lifewire.com/find-mac-addres...ok-4802491

This is a comment about the issue that I got while researching it: 

Chromebooks run the entire Android OS in a container, similar to Docker or LXC. This means that Android will not have direct access to the system's LAN interface. Instead, IPv4 traffic will pass through an internal layer of network address translation (NAT), and IPv6 unicast traffic will be routed through an extra hop. Outbound unicast connections from an Android app to the internet should mostly work as-is; but in general, inbound connections are blocked. Multicast or broadcast packets from Android will not be forwarded to the LAN through the firewall.

Mike

Messages In This Thread
RE: new chromebook won't connect to compaion - SUCCESS! - by Zubersoft - 12-03-2021, 03:46 PM