• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internal Editing
Hi

I've just discovered this software. I realise it's still a work in progress, but it's still streets ahead of anything else I've tried (and could afford!).

Unless I've missed it, I see no way of editing within the application? For example:

I play with a lot of different singers and have the same music in different keys (my sight transposing skills are not great). Before moving to MS, I kept different pads for each singer. These I have now loaded into MS, but I didn't make any reference to the key of each piece when doing so. Consequently, I have three, four, sometimes more, of the same title, with no way of telling which is which. It would be great if I could open a page, check the key and then add it within the app. That would make the creation of collections much easier for me. Otherwise, I fear I will have to delete the lot and start over Sad .

Also, as I'm writing, I'd like to ask a technical question. I don't seem to be able to point the MS storage to an external SD card. Spotify seems to have no trouble using the external card, so I was wondering where I am going wrong.

This is using a Phoenix Technologies Casiatab9d, running Android 4.1.1

Regards

Graeme
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
(07-20-2013, 12:58 AM)GraemeJ Wrote: Hi

I've just discovered this software. I realise it's still a work in progress, but it's still streets ahead of anything else I've tried (and could afford!).

Unless I've missed it, I see no way of editing within the application? For example:

I play with a lot of different singers and have the same music in different keys (my sight transposing skills are not great). Before moving to MS, I kept different pads for each singer. These I have now loaded into MS, but I didn't make any reference to the key of each piece when doing so. Consequently, I have three, four, sometimes more, of the same title, with no way of telling which is which. It would be great if I could open a page, check the key and then add it within the app. That would make the creation of collections much easier for me. Otherwise, I fear I will have to delete the lot and start over Sad .

Also, as I'm writing, I'd like to ask a technical question. I don't seem to be able to point the MS storage to an external SD card. Spotify seems to have no trouble using the external card, so I was wondering where I am going wrong.

This is using a Phoenix Technologies Casiatab9d, running Android 4.1.1

Regards

Graeme

I am hesitant to offer any advice because I am just starting. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

First, I would print out the pdf manual. It is somewhat outdated (it has not kept pace with changes to the software), but still invaluable.

You can edit the song information. I think if you change the name of the songs to include the key (Lady Is A Tramp in Ab), it will show in the songs list.

I have done similar things when I added better versions of songs charts: "Lady Is A Tramp.07.19.13" or Lady Is A Tramp Best Version.

I have not been able to get MS to recognize the external SD card, but I believe there is an option in utilities that you have to check off that you want backups on an extrenal SD drive, so that mightbe a problem (I already started backing up on internal card, so I decided not to mess with it for now).

Disclaimer: I could be totally wrong as I am pretty new with this!
Thanks for the pointers. I will print off the manual and have a properly good read.

In some ways, it's not so bad, as I have been asked to return my tablet for exchange, which means I will be forced to start over, whether I want to or not Sad . This is because no less than three wall-warts popped off after no more than a couple of hours each. The supplier is convinced the tablet is the cause of this, although it seems to work without any problems. Personally, I think the wall-wart - which is rated at 5v @ 2,000mA and not much larger than my thumb - is probably over-rated. They certainly got quite warm for the short time they worked! I was prepared to buy a better supply, but the exchange offer is what I should take, just in case they're right.

In the meantime and now I have some idea about how the software works, I can work on getting the keys sorted.

It's interesting that you couldn't get an SD card to work - at least I'm not alone in this - but there's every indication in the manual that it should. Very odd. We'll have to see what the Boss says about this.
Graeme

Some of my music here
(07-20-2013, 06:45 AM)GraemeJ Wrote: Thanks for the pointers. I will print off the manual and have a properly good read.

In some ways, it's not so bad, as I have been asked to return my tablet for exchange, which means I will be forced to start over, whether I want to or not Sad . This is because no less than three wall-warts popped off after no more than a couple of hours each. The supplier is convinced the tablet is the cause of this, although it seems to work without any problems. Personally, I think the wall-wart - which is rated at 5v @ 2,000mA and not much larger than my thumb - is probably over-rated. They certainly got quite warm for the short time they worked! I was prepared to buy a better supply, but the exchange offer is what I should take, just in case they're right.

In the meantime and now I have some idea about how the software works, I can work on getting the keys sorted.

It's interesting that you couldn't get an SD card to work - at least I'm not alone in this - but there's every indication in the manual that it should. Very odd. We'll have to see what the Boss says about this.

It might be because you have to set the program up from the beginning to recognize the external SD card for back up, which I don't think I did (I am not sure if that is the reason, but I have enough memory (64 gb) that, for now, I can just do everything in the internal SD card).
I might be a little confused about the nature of your question. You can edit your existing songs, and add a key designation either in the title or in the Key field (which allows you to sort using the key dropdown on the main library screen). To edit a song, tap and hold on a song, and select "Edit Song". If you are really asking about something else, please let me know, and I'll do my best to answer whether the feature is available or planned for a future update.

Thanks,
Mike
Thank you - that was the answer I was looking for. I obviously haven't read the manual well-enough!

I've just collected my replacement tablet, so I'll be remembering to do all this stuff, before transfer takes place.

Also, a big thank you for the work you have already put into this application. I'm looking forward to seeing how far you take it.
Graeme

Some of my music here
A quick follow up:

The replacement tablet failed to work at all - almost certainly because they gave me the wrong PSU (should be 5v, was 9v!!) so, in the end, I got my money back because they had run out of bits to give me! I've ordered a new tablet (13" screen, which will probably better anyway) and while I'm waiting for it, I'm playing around with the software on my generic 8" device, which is obviously too small for practical work.

I get the bit about how to change/enter a key but, having tried it, that really wasn't what I was looking for.

Say I have four identical charts in four different keys. If I enter the key in the key column, I can't see which is which from the song list. The only way I can do that is by either adding the key to the song title or putting it in either the album or artist area. I really don't want to tie up these areas with the key, but I would like to see all four versions displayed, on the main screen, with their respective keys.

For me, it would be good if I could see another entry, under the title (as are the album and artist entries) then I can select the right version immediately. In fact, I would think that, for a working musician, the key is more important than the album/artist thing. We are asked to play a particular song, rarely "something by someone".

I know these are little niggles and I still think this is a great bit of work.
Graeme

Some of my music here
In the next version, I've made the formatting of songs (how each one is displayed in the song list) completely customizable. You can decide what fields you want to see, and how they are formatted. I'm still in the process of designing the dialog to enter the information (the backend code is all done), but it boils down to something like:

%TITLE% - %KEY%

would display the title and then the key with a dash between them. I'm hoping to make it easy enough to use that people will be able to see all the information that is important to them without much effort.
That would be just perfect - thank you very much
Graeme

Some of my music here