• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
filter on library sync
Zubermann wrote:
Quote:... Filters are not supported yet for the library synchronization feature. While you can turn on/off certain kinds of data, you can't selectively merge specific collections/setlists/songs, etc. If you have specific features you want supported, please write them out in detail and I'll create an enhancement request in the bug tracker. ...

Thank you Mike!

I use my tablet as a master for several bands.
Some band members have tablets with little memory
-> sync without audio needed

Some songs are only used in Band A (collection A), others in Band B (collection B), ...
So I would like to sync with the musicians from Band A only the songs in colletion A.

-> it would be greate to be able to use collections (or other user defined parameter) as sync-filter.
---------------------------------------------------------
13" - Point of View POV_TAB-P1325, Android 4.1.1
13" - Point of View POV_TAB-I1345, Android 5.1.1
Microsoft Surface Pro 4; Windows 10
Phone: Motorola Moto G3, Android 6.0
(07-27-2018, 01:10 AM)Vibraphon Wrote: -> it would be greate (sic) to be able to use collections (or other user defined parameter) as sync-filter.

While using collections for this purpose would be fine (at least for me, for now) it is just an arbitrary constraint and any other constraint (e.g. album, artist, ...) is equally valid. Supporting all could become complex.

I think switchable libraries (aka separate databases) is a better way to go.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
Hi

First of all I'd like to thank Mike for this great tool. That's really very easy to use and with my Tablets the sync function is really quick and with no problems yet. For further enhancement I'd agree to Vibraphon. I have a similar situation and so I would like to second to this request. I guess many users use Mobilesheets as sort of a Master collection including many songs. So syncing w/o Audio and syncing collections/ setlists indipendantly would be a really great benefit for those users who deal with varying bands.
I think I prefer the separate database approach that has been mentioned; if something nasty happens to one database, the others should hopefully not be affected!

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
I'm going to add support for switching databases/libraries in one of the next updates. I think supporting filtering with the library sync is also going to be needed because sometimes users just want to merge over changes from a specific collection or setlist. The one caveat with this is that if you filter in this way (by selecting one or more groups), that means it will essentially become a one-way sync, as all of the songs on the other device that aren't found as part of those selected groups will be ignored. Hopefully that is intuitive to people.

Mike
Intuitive in so far that songs on either end that belong to the selected collection should be synched bidirectional.
Johan
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Yes, MobileSheets will perform a bidrectional sync for every matching song found on each device, and it will send new songs over from the master. If the collection also exists on the slave device, that doesn't matter - the songs listed on the slave device won't be considered. One other thing that I probably need to consider is that I can't really synchronize all of the groups on each device if you filter, so I'll have to disable that checkbox or do something obvious to show that groups won't be synchronized if you filter on a specific group.

Mike
That goes without saying Smile
Johan
Maybe like that (see attachment)?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The server doesn't know what groups are on the client beforehand. I would have to change the design so that before the merge begins, you have to connect the devices, then the client would have to send over its database, and then the server could query the database to get all the groups, and then you would be able to configure the sync behavior. It would add a lot more complexity to have to track the merge behavior per collection. Honestly, I think that's all overkill though for what most people want to do. Most people just want to merge over one or more updated setlists/collections/etc.  I'd rather keep it as simple as possible and just let a user pick the groups they want to merge, and then I calculate all of the songs used by both devices that are a part of the selected groups, and limit the merge to those. If you want complete control over how the merge proceeds (the kind of level of control your proposed dialog would provide), you can achieve basically the same thing by changing the merge behavior to "Prompt user for decision", and then just decide exactly what happens for each song and group.

Mike
(07-30-2018, 04:34 PM)Zuberman Wrote: ... you can achieve basically the same thing by changing the merge behavior to "Prompt user for decision", and then just decide exactly what happens for each song and group. ...
That sounds good.
My proposal was just a 100%-version!   Big Grin

It would be good if "prompt user for decision" would have a checkbox like "use decision for all songs in this group/Collection".