• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question About Backing Using Mobilesheet Companion
Well, I just got the COmapnion up and running. So, I want ot use it as another backup for my files.

Do I just select all the songs and click on "add song" ? Will this copy all the data (each pdfs/info, etc.) for all my songs into my computer? I could then use this as a backup in case I have a problem with my tablet?

(Sorry if this is a dumb question, but just started trying to figure out how the Companion works).

Jeff
The Companion does not support offline actions at this time. This is something a number of users have requested, but that's going to be a lot of work, so I'm waiting until the appropriate time to tackle that. The companion just lets you add/edit your library, and every change you make is transferred wirelessly to the tablet. You can use the companion to wirelessly transfer a backup of your library if you want to use your PC to store the file. Generating .msb files is the best way to backup MobileSheets. To add songs, drag and drop files into the companion app (this is the easiest way).

Mike
I am not sure what you mean when you say "does not support offline actions". I have the Companion up and running and connected (via wifi) to MS on my tablet. So, I guess I not looking to use it offline. Confused

"You can use the companion to wirelessly transfer a backup of your library if you want to use your PC to store the file. Generating .msb files is the best way to backup MobileSheets. To add songs, drag and drop files into the companion app (this is the easiest way)."

Yes, this is what I want to do. So, I add songs into the companion app on the computer? By "adding" all the songs (using the "add song" function)? Does that have the same effect as "drag and drop"? Drag and drop is done on the PC (in the Companion)?

Then how do a generate an msb file that I can separately store on computer via the Companion app? [I guess I am little high maintenance. I apologize].

(08-29-2013, 03:20 AM)Zuberman Wrote: The Companion does not support offline actions at this time. This is something a number of users have requested, but that's going to be a lot of work, so I'm waiting until the appropriate time to tackle that. The companion just lets you add/edit your library, and every change you make is transferred wirelessly to the tablet. You can use the companion to wirelessly transfer a backup of your library if you want to use your PC to store the file. Generating .msb files is the best way to backup MobileSheets. To add songs, drag and drop files into the companion app (this is the easiest way).

Mike
Go to the File menu at the top, and select "Backup Library"
Hmm, something did not work right. I did a back up of MS, but it seems liek there was ntohing in the folder when I tried to open the songs from the back up.

Am I missing something? That back up really streams all the pdf's, etc from the tablet? That is a lot of data.

Jeff
The backup file should be as large as all of your PDFs combined. The file is usually quite large.

Mike
(09-02-2013, 01:56 AM)Zuberman Wrote: The backup file should be as large as all of your PDFs combined. The file is usually quite large.

Mike

Yeah, I think something didn't work right. I don't need import the songs first or anything? If I am connected and hit backup, it should backup everything, right?

It looks like the folders are empty.

I will try again. (Perhaps user error, somehow).

Jeff
Cool, looks like it worked.

At some point I want to double check I know how to how to use the backup in the PC (Companion) to restore on my tablet (in case I lose everything on the tablet.)

But, one step at a time. Making progress.

Jeff
Well, I have not quite figured this out yet.

I did hte back up.

It seemed succesful.

When I click on view/extract files I see the list of songs.

I click on a particular song, I think it says it suffessfully extracted it. When I look in the folder for the songs within MS, I do not see the song.

If I get out of MS and go into the folder I see the pdf, but I do not say the annotations.

So, although the backup seemed to work and I definitely have the pdfs in the back up folder on my PC, so, far, I have not been able to find/open the song with annotations as I would see it on my tablet.

I guess I missing something here . . . . please advise.
Jeff,

First, the view/extract functionality is only there in case you want to extract files out of the backup on your PC. This is only necessary if you need a PDF and the backup is the only place you can get it from. It does not affect the tablet in any way (in fact, you can view/extract backups without being connected to the tablet).

If you want to restore files from a library backup, you cannot do this in the MobileSheets Companion. It can only be done on the tablet by going to Options->Utilities->Restore Library. I may add the ability to restore a library backup from the companion in the future, I just haven't had time to write the code yet.

Annotations in MobileSheets are not saved inside the PDF itself. They are saved only in the database, and rendered by MobileSheets. In the future, I plan to add the ability to export annotations into the PDF, thereby making them permanent, but this not currently supported.

I hope that helps.

Mike
(09-02-2013, 04:08 PM)Zuberman Wrote: Jeff,

First, the view/extract functionality is only there in case you want to extract files out of the backup on your PC. This is only necessary if you need a PDF and the backup is the only place you can get it from. It does not affect the tablet in any way (in fact, you can view/extract backups without being connected to the tablet).

If you want to restore files from a library backup, you cannot do this in the MobileSheets Companion. It can only be done on the tablet by going to Options->Utilities->Restore Library. I may add the ability to restore a library backup from the companion in the future, I just haven't had time to write the code yet.

Annotations in MobileSheets are not saved inside the PDF itself. They are saved only in the database, and rendered by MobileSheets. In the future, I plan to add the ability to export annotations into the PDF, thereby making them permanent, but this not currently supported.

I hope that helps.

Mike

Okay, that explains it. Thanks, Mike.

Now, if instead of backing up I just did a batch import, then I would see the pdfs with annotations? In a pinch, would I be able to use that to restore mobilesheets in my tablet if I had a problem? Could I effectively use that as a back up?

All lthose potential changes in the future sound good to me.
Batch import does not pull in annotations made with MobileSheets, but it does show any annotations that are in the PDF file itself (if you edited it with another program). The batch import also does not pull in any of your song metadata, such as artist/album/genre, etc. So unfortunately, no, you really can't use batch import to restore your tablet if you need to pull in all that stuff.

Mike
(09-03-2013, 04:53 AM)Zuberman Wrote: Batch import does not pull in annotations made with MobileSheets, but it does show any annotations that are in the PDF file itself (if you edited it with another program). The batch import also does not pull in any of your song metadata, such as artist/album/genre, etc. So unfortunately, no, you really can't use batch import to restore your tablet if you need to pull in all that stuff.

Mike

First, I think there might be some condusion. I meant batch import intot he Companion. Does that change the answer?

But, more improtantly, I thought one of the reasons for the Companion was to make it easier to do annotations (on the computer instead of the tablet).

So, if I wanted to load songs from my tablet (hopefully including any MS annotations that have already been done) and modify/add annotations in the Companion, and then load the modified songs into my tablet, does the Companion app allow for that?
At the moment, the companion app does not support annotations. This is something I would love to add, but it will involve a significant amount of work.
(09-03-2013, 03:05 PM)Zuberman Wrote: At the moment, the companion app does not support annotations. This is something I would love to add, but it will involve a significant amount of work.

Ok, I misunderstood.

But, that's good that I can use it as a 2nd backup, That's certainly helpful.

Thanks,

Jeff