• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Option to add entire PDF as an additional "Song"
It appears that many users manually add a line to their CSV files to create a separate "Song" for the entire PDF. Here's an example from a file ItsMe has shared [the (complete) line]:

Title;Pages;Keys;Genres;Collections;Source Types;Albums
~Kinder wollen singen (complete);1-68;;;;Fakebook;Kinder wollen singen
~Kinder wollen singen – TOC;4-5;;;;TOC;Kinder wollen singen
Alle meine Entchen;6;D;;Volkslieder;LS;Kinder wollen singen

Obviously, this is likely to have been a manual edit to the CSV as the usual song database would not have an entry for the whole book and would not automatically create one. In order to avoid this extra step, my suggestion is that upon CSV Import, the user be prompted with something like "In addition to the individual songs, would you like to create a separate "Song" that incorporates the entire PDF?" Folks like ItsMe could easily say "No, I'm covered" while the rest of us might really appreciate it. At that point, I'm presuming that MSP already knows the name of the PDF and its total range of pages, so would have all it needs to create automatically (and usefully) what otherwise requires a manual edit of the CSV file.

Thanks for listening.

- Kevin
Alas there's nothing like a "usual database". Usually you have to edit CSVs manually, a line more or less is not an issue. The TOC entry also has to be detected manually, other users might like an entry for the title page or whatever.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

(03-09-2020, 07:12 AM)itsme Wrote: Alas there's nothing like a "usual database". Usually you have to edit CSVs manually, a line more or less is not an issue. The TOC entry also has to be detected manually, other users might like an entry for the title page or whatever.
Fair enough, but title page or table of contents cannot be accurately determined by the program without detailed user input. The page range and name of the entire PDF are already known to the app at that point, so I wouldn't think it would be a big deal to use that data to create (with permission) something you and I know is quite useful and probably couldn't be undesirable to anyone. Not everyone loves editing CSVs as you obviously do! Smile  [to our undying gratitude] - Kevin
(03-09-2020, 08:15 AM)KHS Wrote:
(03-09-2020, 07:12 AM)itsme Wrote: Alas there's nothing like a "usual database". Usually you have to edit CSVs manually, a line more or less is not an issue. The TOC entry also has to be detected manually, other users might like an entry for the title page or whatever.
Fair enough, but title page or table of contents cannot be accurately determined by the program without detailed user input. The page range and name of the entire PDF are already known to the app at that point, so I wouldn't think it would be a big deal to use that data to create (with permission) something you and I know is quite useful and probably couldn't be undesirable to anyone. Not everyone loves editing CSVs as you obviously do! Smile  [to our undying gratitude] - Kevin
I forgot to add to my original suggestion that my idea would avoid having the first regular song become the name of Folder in the Mobilesheets Storage Area that holds the entire underlying PDF. That is NOT desirable to most users as it doesn't adequately suggest what's in the folder. Yes, I realize I can redo the import to accomplish that. UGH! I haven't figured out how to rename the folder myself and not break things.
I'll write up a feature request for this. Renaming a folder requires updating the database as I don't currently let users do this through the app (as MobileSheets will manage the files and folders itself). If you have the csv and PDF in the storage location, it shouldn't be moving the PDF though. 

Mike
(03-09-2020, 03:28 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I'll write up a feature request for this. Renaming a folder requires updating the database as I don't currently let users do this through the app (as MobileSheets will manage the files and folders itself). If you have the csv and PDF in the storage location, it shouldn't be moving the PDF though. 

Mike
Just to be clear, a feature request for renaming a storage location folder OR for my suggestion of allowing the option of creating an additional "entire book" Song upon CSV import (and then automatically naming the folder accordingly rather than using the name of the first song in the CSV)? Both would be welcome, but I don't need the former if I can get the latter!
The latter for right now. For the former, you can use the swap file feature to fix a file's path in a song. Or you could just move the files and then use Settings->Other Settings->Fix Broken File Paths.

Mike
(03-10-2020, 05:24 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: The latter for right now. For the former, you can use the swap file feature to fix a file's path in a song. Or you could just move the files and then use Settings->Other Settings->Fix Broken File Paths.

Mike
Super! And thanks for the tips on the other.