• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Annotations completely freezes max lumi, reboot needed
I just purchased MSpro for e-ink and installed on a Boox Max Lumi

Whenever I try to access the annotation menu, from the song view screen (brush icon), my tablet completely freezes. If I long press the power button, the power menu pops up, but pressing the buttons on-screen (power-off, restart) has no effect. The only solution is to maintain the power button pressed until the device powers off, and reboot.

So there's no way I can make any annotation at all...
Can you verify that you are running version 3.0.10 of MobileSheetsPro under Settings->About? Obviously if you just purchased and installed, that should be the case, but I just want to make sure. Can you check for firmware updates on your Lumi to see if any are available? I haven't heard any other reports before this of the latest build not working correctly on the Lumi. Can anyone else with a Lum chime in and indicate whether annotating in version 3.0.10 works for you? 

Thanks,
Mike
I have no freezing issues at all.
Onyx Boox Max Lumi 13.3 -Android 10
Dell Latittude 5290 2-in1 (Win 11)
Donner BT pedal
Sad 
(03-12-2021, 06:25 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Can you verify that you are running version 3.0.10 of MobileSheetsPro under Settings->About? Obviously if you just purchased and installed, that should be the case, but I just want to make sure. Can you check for firmware updates on your Lumi to see if any are available? I haven't heard any other reports before this of the latest build not working correctly on the Lumi. Can anyone else with a Lum chime in and indicate whether annotating in version 3.0.10 works for you? 

Thanks,
Mike

This is version 3.0.10, yes, installed from package installer. There's no firmware update available, I double checked, currently running: 2020-11-19_13-50_3.0_88a2f03
I'll attach a pic of the Lumi after opening the annotations menu. From that point, i can't do anything but reboot the tablet.
Note I'm using the e-ink version of MSPro.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03-12-2021, 07:50 AM)palosanto Wrote: I have no freezing issues at all.

Are you with the e-ink version too? What firmware version are you running? Did you optimize the apk?
(03-12-2021, 09:55 AM)eBug Wrote:

Are you with the e-ink version too? What firmware version are you running? Did you optimize the apk?

Yes, my firmware is the latest, same than yours. 
Try disabling optimization first.
However I have optimization switch on (3rd tab) but my only changes are DPI at 350 and whiten apps off in the first tab. The rest are at default.
Donner BT pedal
(03-12-2021, 10:28 AM)palosanto Wrote:
(03-12-2021, 09:55 AM)eBug Wrote:

Yes, my firmware is the latest, same than yours. 
Try disabling optimization first.
However I have optimization switch on (3rd tab) but my only changes are DPI at 350 and whiten apps off in the first tab. The rest are at default.

I got it working... Just realized that while i can mostly use my finger to interact with the tablet (switch app, keyboard, etc.), if I want to make annotations, I have to use the pencil...
I have seen no mention of that in the various documentation I have at hand.
Thanks for the time you spent helping out.
Eric.
(03-12-2021, 11:32 AM)eBug Wrote: Just realized that while i can mostly use my finger to interact with the tablet (switch app, keyboard, etc.), if I want to make annotations, I have to use the pencil...

Glad it's working. Yeah, It would be really hard to make decent, precise annotations with the finger. 
However you still can make them if you want but you need to go to the 3 dot menu in annotations mode and disable Stylus mode.
Donner BT pedal
With the e-ink version, stylus mode is enabled by default for annotating because I utilize optimizations to allow for fast writing with the stylus when using the pen tool. These optimizations are not possible when using a finger. If you disable stylus mode, you will see how much slower it is to write with the pen tool. 

Mike
(03-12-2021, 11:56 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: With the e-ink version, stylus mode is enabled by default for annotating because I utilize optimizations to allow for fast writing with the stylus when using the pen tool. These optimizations are not possible when using a finger. If you disable stylus mode, you will see how much slower it is to write with the pen tool. 

Mike

Thanks for helping out. MobileSheets is a great piece of software.
Mike, *I* just discovered this problem with my PadMu (Onyx Boox Note 2)! Okay... I *thought* it was freezing when I was at choir class earlier today. To backfill the story: I actually haven't been using MSP very much lately, as my church uses Planning Center Services Music Stand app, & for the choir I've been using Gvido (as the 2-page spread is really helpful). This morning, the teacher emailed me a new score. I normally do all my score loading at work, but I wasn't going to work today until after choir, so I thought: let's get 21st century. Downloaded the PDF on my phone, used Genius Scan to clean it up (mostly crop off the excess margin), save it to my standard Dropbox transfer folder, fired up my phone's mobile hotspot & used that to import the new song into MSP. Worked *PERFECTLY*. <smile> So, I thought we just did a video mini-concert last week, this week is all new music working on little bits at a time, I really don't need Gvido. Get to the school, pull out PadMu - so far, so good. Now - when I first started working with MobileSheets Pro, of course I tested the annotation system & it worked fine; well, it was a little too sensitive to the provided stylus, so I had been using my spare Gvido stylus, which had worked great.

Got to a spot in the score where the top line of the staff didn't come through the scan well, so I wanted to write in the note names for a measure where everything was ledger lines - that's where the trouble started. Now, I hadn't annotated anything since I put the patch #s on my cover band's scores. That was a) using the text tool & b) over a month ago. (I'm running 3.0.10) When I touched the screen to activate the annotations, then touched the pen tool & tried to write, nothing happened - except when I tried to click something else, also nothing - had to force a restart. Repeated the process - same results. Restarted a 3rd time to get through the class, deciding that writing those 3 note names really wasn't all that important right then.

Got to work & experimented... what I discovered was that MSP hadn't *frozen*, per se: if I sat & watched it, a thin line representing my test circle would excruciatingly slowly appear, as if I was drawing it in slo-motion. Literally, took a solid 30 seconds to render a half-second circle. Once it finished, I could usually then get the screen to react - but the circle never looked as I intended. I thought maybe it was that particular PDF, so I opened up several of my scores that have been scanned at various points in my career - *ALL* off them reacted the same way, but only to the Pen tool! If I started with Highlighter, that seemed to work fine - as did Erase. But not Pen... which, of course, is the one I really need to work properly. Further testing revealed that *NOTHING* seems wrong with the native Notes app, nor Music Stand, not the PadMu app - only MobileSheets Pro.

Any ideas?
Ron Pietrantoni
music coordinator
Grace Community Church
Detroit, MI, USA
Hello Ron,

Can you check to see if there is any updated firmware for the Onyx Boox Note 2? I am using the latest libraries from Onyx, so I'm not sure why you are seeing that behavior. Note that if you go into the annotation settings and you disable stylus mode, you probably won't encounter that horrible slow-motion drawing, but then you also won't be able to use the fast drawing mode with the pen tool. If you don't really need to write quickly with the pen tool, then this may be an acceptable workaround for now. The same code and library is used for all the Onyx devices, so it's very strange that this is only affecting the Note 2 and not the Lumi or Max tablets. 

As a side note, you said you aren't using the normal stylus that came with the Boox Note 2. If you switch to using that stylus, does the same problem occur?

Thanks,
Mike
(03-31-2021, 04:26 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: Hello Ron,

Can you check to see if there is any updated firmware for the Onyx Boox Note 2? I am using the latest libraries from Onyx, so I'm not sure why you are seeing that behavior. Note that if you go into the annotation settings and you disable stylus mode, you probably won't encounter that horrible slow-motion drawing, but then you also won't be able to use the fast drawing mode with the pen tool. If you don't really need to write quickly with the pen tool, then this may be an acceptable workaround for now. The same code and library is used for all the Onyx devices, so it's very strange that this is only affecting the Note 2 and not the Lumi or Max tablets. 

As a side note, you said you aren't using the normal stylus that came with the Boox Note 2. If you switch to using that stylus, does the same problem occur?

Thanks,
Mike

Hi, Mike!

It appears to have been a temporary aberration. I used it again later that day for a different rehearsal; when we were finished, I grabbed my stylus to see if the problem was still there... and it wasn't. ?‍♂️ There's nothing more maddening that an issue that only manifests itself when you absolutely 100% need it *not* to.

For the record, while it was still happening (which was across at least two hours, as it was no less than a half hour between my leaving school & arriving at work; probably more like 45 minutes), the stylus that came with PadMu didn't work any better. Which brings up another issues... it's a bit like owning a Samsung phone. PadMu has their own proprietary OS, so any firmware updates go through them first (like Galaxy Android updates). <sigh> But I have received one since I purchased the device; less than a year ago. At some point, I intend to replace it with a stock Onyx; maybe a Note 3, but it depends... as I ain't buying nothin' til some of my larger theatre gigs start coming back. My two choirs are better than nothing, but they barely keep the car repaired!

Thanx for the troubleshooting tips! Best thing that came of this: I now know how to turn off the damn disc menu! ?
Ron Pietrantoni
music coordinator
Grace Community Church
Detroit, MI, USA
I'm glad to hear the issue is no longer occuring, but please let me know if you see anything like that again. I'm always happy to help however I can.

Mike
Hello Mike,

I am experiencing a similar "freezing" issue on my PadMu (Boox Max 2), very similar to what Ron described. 
As I start annotating using the original stylus, everything hangs and I simply can't do anything else, not even get to the home screen using the physical buttons.

There has been a moment where the system message "MobileSheetPro is not responding" appeared, but I was not able to confirm closing it, the screen seemed unresponsive. What I found is that if I try and interact with the "ok" using the stylus, after almost 60 seconds I can see scribbled lines appearing over the system message, where I used the stylus: it seems like there's an "over-layer" that does not allow me to interact with what is underneath.
So my guess is that the system does not hang, but there's a layer that covers everything and updates only veeeeery slowly.
The problem is that I am not able to exit annotation mode, and a full system reboot is my only option.

Do you have any ideas on some setting that might get me out of this issue? I never had such problems with earlier versions of MSP (when there were no layers)

PadMuAP2 with latest firmware (2020-11-19_19-37_padmu2_57e515a)
Android 6.0.1
MobileSheetPro 3.1.4 e-ink

Thanks
Enrico