• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New User - Connection problem?
Hi  Recently purchased Mobilesheets pro to use with my PSR SX900. I have installed the app on a tablet running Android 10 (the tablet is a Meberry M7 - multiple 5 star reviews on Amazon for what they are worth) The SX900 has the latest firmware (1.05)  I connected with a USB B to USB C cable. The app will not recognise ther connection. I cannot get the link icon to link registrations, and I cannot configure the pedals. If I remove the tablet and replace it with a Win 10 laptop, the connection is fine, so the cable is ok. Are there midi settings on the SX900 that I need to configure, or is it just a crap tablet?  Any kind of advice greatly appreciated. Many thanks
Please go to Settings->MIDI Settings->Configure MIDI Connections, switch to the Google library and let me know if the keyboard shows up under the input/output ports. If not, when using the default library, I assume you did not see a message about the keyboard being connected, correct? You can also try the high-performance USB library to see if it connects. If no library can connect, then it's an issue either with the tablet not liking the cable or some kind of hardware issue. I know you said the cable worked fine with Windows 10, so that's probably not the issue, but there aren't too many other things that would stop the keyboard from being recognized.

Mike
(10-12-2021, 05:35 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Please go to Settings->MIDI Settings->Configure MIDI Connections, switch to the Google library and let me know if the keyboard shows up under the input/output ports. If not, when using the default library, I assume you did not see a message about the keyboard being connected, correct? You can also try the high-performance USB library to see if it connects. If no library can connect, then it's an issue either with the tablet not liking the cable or some kind of hardware issue. I know you said the cable worked fine with Windows 10, so that's probably not the issue, but there aren't too many other things that would stop the keyboard from being recognized.

Mike

Hi Mike.   High performance USB library makes no difference. I connected to the Google library and the link icon was there. When I clicked it, the message was 'waiting for registration message' followed by 'link request failed'  The pedals still don't respond. On the Midi connections screen there are no input or output ports showing. 

Ron
I'm a little confused - you said you connected to the Google library, but just switching to that library won't connect you to the keyboard. Once you switch to that library, you need to see input/output ports show up, and then you need to tap on them to connect to the keyboard. If you don't see input/output ports, the keyboard isn't being recognized. In that case, you only have a few options:

1) Try a different cable
2) Put an MIDI-class compliant device between the tablet and the keyboard such as the Roland UM-ONE or the mio2 to see if this allows your tablet to communicate
3) If your keyboard supports MIDI over bluetooth, you could try that, or you could get a MIDI over bluetooth adapter

If you want a sanity check, you could try installing another MIDI app to see if it recognizes the keyboard, although I imagine the result wouldn't be any different. 

Normally when a keyboard is connected over MIDI, if you drag down from the top of the screen, there are options for how to handle the USB connection. What is this currently set to? If you changed it to something like MIDI, does that have any impact? If you don't see any notification about the USB connection at all, that would obviously be a red flag.

Mike
(10-13-2021, 02:54 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I'm a little confused - you said you connected to the Google library, but just switching to that library won't connect you to the keyboard. Once you switch to that library, you need to see input/output ports show up, and then you need to tap on them to connect to the keyboard. If you don't see input/output ports, the keyboard isn't being recognized. In that case, you only have a few options:

1) Try a different cable
2) Put an MIDI-class compliant device between the tablet and the keyboard such as the Roland UM-ONE or the mio2 to see if this allows your tablet to communicate
3) If your keyboard supports MIDI over bluetooth, you could try that, or you could get a MIDI over bluetooth adapter

If you want a sanity check, you could try installing another MIDI app to see if it recognizes the keyboard, although I imagine the result wouldn't be any different. 

Normally when a keyboard is connected over MIDI, if you drag down from the top of the screen, there are options for how to handle the USB connection. What is this currently set to? If you changed it to something like MIDI, does that have any impact? If you don't see any notification about the USB connection at all, that would obviously be a red flag.

Mike

Hi Mike   I think I am confusing you. With the default library the screen space below the option was totally blank. Whwn I switched to the Google library, the screen space below showed just the headers for input and output. It did not list any ports. The link icon on the song edit/midi page only showed when the google library was selected.
I have tried the connection over both bluetooth and with a midi to USB device. Nothing. I have changed the cable, but it made no difference. If I connect a laptop or even a usb key to the keyboard, I get a connection message on the keyboard screen. I am not getting that.
There is no notification on the tablet about a usb connection. If I plug the tablet into a laptop, it is not recognised by the laptop. It does not show in windows explorer, and the message on the tablet is 'Android System - charging over USB'
I believe the problem has to be with the tablet, so tomorrow, rather than waste any more of your time,  I intend to get a Samsung Tab A, and try again. I will let you know the result.
Thanks for all your help. 
Ron
Hi Mike
Still having problems. I have a new Samsung Tab A. Have changed midi library to google, and under input I get : Yamaha Corporation Digital Keyboard (0) and Yamaha Corporation Digital Keyboard (1) . Under the output ports I get exactly the same. But when I edit the song, I do not get the link icon under the midi tab. Also, the pedal actions are not recognised. Any ideas please? Sorry to be a pain.
Ron
(10-15-2021, 02:31 AM)ronlomax Wrote: Hi Mike
Still having problems. I have a new Samsung Tab A. Have changed midi library to google, and under input I get : Yamaha Corporation Digital Keyboard (0) and Yamaha Corporation Digital Keyboard (1) . Under the output ports I get exactly the same.  But when I edit the song, I do not get the link icon under the midi tab. Also, the pedal actions are not recognised. Any ideas please? Sorry to be a pain.
Ron

Sorry Mike. I do have the link icon. Forgot to change the Midi Device setting. But it fails every time I try it.
Ron
Ron,

Let's start with a simpler test first as the link functionality is quite complex and involves multiple system exclusive messages being sent back and forth between MobileSheets and the keyboard. First, let's see if messages are being received - tap the MIDI listen dialog icon that is right above the link icon. The dialog will display any MIDI messages that are being received from the keyboard. Verify you are receiving the messages you expect to be receiving. Next, we should test whether the keyboard is receiving messages from MobileSheets. To do this, tap the + icon on the MIDI tab to create a new MIDI command, set it up as a program change message and send a value of 5. Then tap "Test MIDI Command" and it should send the program change message to the keyboard. This should change to the fifth instrument in whatever bank is active. If you have another command you want to test,  you can test it here as well. Let me know whether you are sending/receiving messages correctly. If so, then we can try to proceed with figuring out why the link functionality is not working as intended. This feature was very complicated to implement and I had to work closely with a user to figure it out, but we were figuring it out with a Genos keyboard. I was informed that the same feature worked on the PSR SX900, but I'm not sure if Yamaha has changed anything that would break the feature for that keyboard. It would help if another user with an SX900 would chime in as to whether the link functionality works for them.

Mike
Hi Mike
You will have to forgive me. I know very little about how midi works. If I tap the listen button there is nothing in the pop up screen. Do I need to do anything on the keyboard to make anything happen?
When I tap the + button and enter 5 as a program change message, I get @Program Change-5(Value)(Send On Load)
I will also add that the app fires up as soon as I turn the keyboard on, and I get a notification that it is connected. Don't know if it matters, but this tablet is running Android 11
Ron
Pressing a key on the keyboard should send a MIDI Note On and Off, so that's the simplest test to determine if you are receiving messages. If you aren't receiving messages, then nothing else will matter. You did everything correctly with setting up the message to send, then just tap the button at the bottom of the dialog to test the MIDI command.

Mike
I can confirm that the Mobilesheets Pro link feature does work on a PSR SX900, using the default MIDI Library in Mobilesheets (Android 4.x)
(10-15-2021, 05:31 PM)Rey_a Wrote: I can confirm that the Mobilesheets Pro link feature does work on a PSR SX900, using the default MIDI Library in Mobilesheets (Android 4.x)

Hi
Knowing that it will work, I did a hard reset on tablet and keyboard, and reinstalled Mobilesheets. I then set the library to default, and the midi device to Genos/PSR. I turned the tablet on, and then the keyboard. When the keyboard booted, it opened Mobilesheets on the tablet. I can now link registrations to a  pdf without a problem. Don't know what the problem was, but the linking works now.
The only problem I have left to solve is the peda (plug in not bluetooth)l. After I went through pedal settings and set up pedal 2 to turn the page, nothing happens. Can you please tell me what settings I have to change on the app and on the SX900 to get pedal 2 to turn the page?
Thanks
Ron
You are talking about a pedal connected to the tablet, right ?
(10-15-2021, 10:53 PM)Rey_a Wrote: You are talking about a pedal connected to the tablet, right ?
Never even thought of that  No Trying to use pedal connected to keyboard. Don’t know how I would connect a pedal to tablet when keyboard is connected to the only port. Can I not use the keyboard pedal then?
Sorry not very knowledgeable when it comes to midi. 
Ron
I have never tried it with a pedal connected to the keyboard.
Just had a quick try on Genos, and the pedal press is not being transmitted over midi, and I have not directly found a setting to enable that. Which of course does not mean it is not possible. Maybe others know how to do it.

Pedals can be connected directly to the tablet using bluetooth. I used to have an airturn duo myself some time ago which worked well.
Mike also has a page on his website related to pedals ... See below.

https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/p...hp?lang=en

Just out of curiosity. Now you know how to make the link feature work, did you manage to get that working on the Meberry M7 tablet as well ?