• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surface pro 8 issue
Hello, 

I am here with a question concerning more the device rather than the software - still hoping that I can get some help or ideas from other users:

I just bought a Surface Pro 8. When using it on a music stand (in portrait tablet mode) to read music with Mobile sheets it is standing on the volume buttons (or the other way around on the power button). Now I get the volume display all the time and any slight movement of the music stand changes the volume... I contacted Microsoft, but there seems to be no way to turn off the function of the buttons. 

Does anyone have the same problem? And maybe any practical idea or work around? Maybe I am just missing the obvious?

Thank you!
Anne
(12-15-2021, 09:25 PM)Anne Wrote: Hello, 

I am here with a question concerning more the device rather than the software - still hoping that I can get some help or ideas from other users:

I just bought a Surface Pro 8. When using it on a music stand (in portrait tablet mode) to read music with Mobile sheets it is standing on the volume buttons (or the other way around on the power button). Now I get the volume display all the time and any slight movement of the music stand changes the volume... I contacted Microsoft, but there seems to be no way to turn off the function of the buttons. 

Does anyone have the same problem? And maybe any practical idea or work around? Maybe I am just missing the obvious?

Thank you!
Anne

Get proper case (Poetic or Bobjgear) with cutouts for volume and power.
Never had a problem with bumper case.
There are some tricks you can try to disable the volume overlay: https://www.technipages.com/windows-10-d...me-overlay

This may no longer work on Windows 11 - I'm not sure. You could either try to get a case that raises the device slightly so that the buttons aren't being pressed in, or you could try to rig something up on the music stand where the tablet is resting on something that won't press the buttons in. Another option is a mount like the AirTurn Manos: https://www.airturn.com/139-52.html

Mike
Thank you very much for your answers and hints! I will try the things you have proposed and I am sure I will find a way...

Anne
Hi Anne,
I actually just bought a Surface pro 8 to replace my old 4 and have the same problem as you described: It's quite difficult to place it (on a music stand) in portrait orientation without pressing the buttons. A major design flaw, I think...  Angry

There are not too many cases available yet, and I don't like what I found so far. I'd like something more or less seamless, ideally just black matte and that's it, without a cover for the front, but of course allowing air circulation through the vents... seems to be difficult. Undecided

I just found out that magnets help, at least for my standard stand - both securing the tablet and keeping it from pressing the buttons (no matter which one - notice the magnets' foots are between tablet and music stand):

Does not help though if I want to use the surface in portrait on a piano, though... so if you find a working solution attached to the tablet itself, let me know.
If you don't want to use a case, I bet a thin strip of soft foam will prevent the buttons from activating.
I am using this stand fro K&M with my Surface Pro 6 (should work with Pro 8 as well) and I'm very happy with it and had no problem with buttons so far.

K&M 19742 – Thomann United States (thomannmusic.com)

Tablet: Surface Pro 8, 
Other: Strich BT-FP2, USB-MIDI connection to Kurzweil Forte 7
(01-13-2022, 05:10 AM)NeoCZ Wrote: I am using this stand fro K&M with my Surface Pro 6 (should work with Pro 8 as well) and I'm very happy with it and had no problem with buttons so far.

K&M 19742 – Thomann United States (thomannmusic.com)

This works, of course, but it needs me to always take it with me (if you add the stand itself, it's quite stable but also big & and heavy) and won't hold any paper sheets or other things. If you want to handover your tablet to somebody else, he or she needs a special tablet stand, too or take the whole big thing with it... too many downsides for me.  Angel

I just got a case from MOKO. It's big and ... bulky (not to say ugly), but it does the job. First quality impression is OK and it's not very expensive, too. And maybe it will also protect the Surface if it may try to fly... 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203746274904
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MN8XPNB/
...on Amazon there are even several reviewers who had the same problem as we had here (portrait mode pushing buttons).
You can just disable power button and set it on that side, then  You just need to turn off tablet using start>shut down

That works good for me.

here is the detailed description on how to do it:

https://www.howtogeek.com/722865/how-to-....%E2%80%9D
(12-15-2021, 09:25 PM)Anne Wrote: Hello, 

Thank you!
Anne

It is pretty easy to disable volume buttons on surface pro 8
  • You go to Device manager
  • Under Human Interface devices i have 4 Surface Button HID Control devices listed (if you have less you have to figure which one)
  • Select 2nd Surface Button HID Controll device and right click on it
  • Choose Disable device

And voila - it is not bothering you any more.

To Get the function back, just select the same device, right click it and select enable and it works again.
(01-13-2022, 04:45 AM)Learux Wrote: If you don't want to use a case, I bet a thin strip of soft foam will prevent the buttons from activating.

This has worked for me for several months now. I use a couple of small strips of self-adhesive foam (from a craft supply store) around the power and volume buttons to avoid pressing on them when the tablet is on a music stand in portrait orientation.

I had a bumper case for a little while, but the bulk it added defeated the benefits of having a thin and light 2-in-1 computer/tablet.