• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunlight Help?
Hi - I am considering a Mobilesheet with a 12 or 13" tab and a Bluetooth page turner. I am professional classical guitarist and I have 2 of the old Handsfree music systems that I currently have been using for many years (electronic music systems before the android and I-pad systems - Big Grin). The Handsfree system has worked well for me over the years except for one important aspect - you can't see the music very well in sunlight. In the summer, most of my gigs (i.e. 2 -3 per weekend) are outdoor weddings, so this a real concern for me. The Handsfree system is an antique now and no longer supported and I want to move in to a more modern system, but the sunlight issue is one that is hard to work around on. Are there any systems or accessories out there that help address the sunlight issue? Any suggestions would be welcome...
Robert Jones
Guitar Interludes
http://www.guitarinterludes.com
I have played some outdoor gigs and it is still a potential issue. Usually I can find an angle that will work (I also turn up the brightness all the way, even though that uses up battery power).

They do sell laptop shade covers, but they don't seem to fit tablets very well. And if there is wind, you might be worse off.

MS offers inverse contrast (white on black background instead of vis versa). That might help.

(09-04-2014, 05:46 AM)bjones673 Wrote: Hi - I am considering a Mobilesheet with a 12 or 13" tab and a Bluetooth page turner. I am professional classical guitarist and I have 2 of the old Handsfree music systems that I currently have been using for many years (electronic music systems before the android and I-pad systems - Big Grin). The Handsfree system has worked well for me over the years except for one important aspect - you can't see the music very well in sunlight. In the summer, most of my gigs (i.e. 2 -3 per weekend) are outdoor weddings, so this a real concern for me. The Handsfree system is an antique now and no longer supported and I want to move in to a more modern system, but the sunlight issue is one that is hard to work around on. Are there any systems or accessories out there that help address the sunlight issue? Any suggestions would be welcome...
The inverse contrast is an interesting theory, as most of the problem seems to be the reflection of the guitar from the sun. Has anyone experimented with the inverse contrast in sunlight? Was it effective? If anyone could test that and let me know, I would greatly appreciate it!

My new CD for solo guitar has been released - free sample tracks

(09-04-2014, 06:08 AM)jeffn1 Wrote: I have played some outdoor gigs and it is still a potential issue. Usually I can find and angle that will work (I also turn up the brightness all the way, even though that uses up battery power).

They do sell laptop shade covers, but they don't seem to fit tablets very well. And if there is wind, you might be worse off.

MS offers inverse contrast (white on black background instead of vis versa). That might help.

(09-04-2014, 05:46 AM)bjones673 Wrote: Hi - I am considering a Mobilesheet with a 12 or 13" tab and a Bluetooth page turner. I am professional classical guitarist and I have 2 of the old Handsfree music systems that I currently have been using for many years (electronic music systems before the android and I-pad systems - Big Grin). The Handsfree system has worked well for me over the years except for one important aspect - you can't see the music very well in sunlight. In the summer, most of my gigs (i.e. 2 -3 per weekend) are outdoor weddings, so this a real concern for me. The Handsfree system is an antique now and no longer supported and I want to move in to a more modern system, but the sunlight issue is one that is hard to work around on. Are there any systems or accessories out there that help address the sunlight issue? Any suggestions would be welcome...
Robert Jones
Guitar Interludes
I'm in Spain - the sun is certainly bright here Smile .

I use a 13" tablet with the inverse colour option for both indoors and outdoors. Indoors, it means that there is a lot less light shining on the performer (me) to distract the audience. Outdoors, it is certainly better than the normal display, although very bright sun can still cause a bit of a problem.

I've thought of making some sort of a shade for the tablet but, so far, I've been doing the same as jeffn1 and just been a bit careful with the orientation of the stand. One way or another, I've always managed to find a location where the problem went away.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Thank you for the insight. On my current systems (very old with with weak displays) changing the angle doesn't help a whole lot and many times I can't be selective on where I set-up. I literally can't see any of the music...

I am wondering with the brighter display and inverse color that it gets me enough that adjusting the angle from glare might get me by. Part of the problem is I am using systems that are tablets, that pre-date tablets Tongue So, my comparing my experience to the latest technology may not be a fair assessment...
Robert Jones
Guitar Interludes