• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't find songs for artist when album is unknown.
I have a lot of sheet music where I know the artist, but not the album. The name of the artist is properly shown in the song list, but when I select that artist, they appear to have no songs. I believe this is because an album of "unknown" is treated specially. If I change this to unspecified, this appears in the artist's album list, as expected.

Is there anyway to control this behaviour? Alternatively, is there any way to bulk change the album for all unspecified songs. I have about 1000 in this category, so I don't want to do this by hand.

I believe I can do this by exporting the database, and connecting it to an access database using the sprite odd driver, writing an sol query to change all unknown to unspecified, and the re import the database. But this is a rather roundabout process, and there should be an easier way to do this.

Thanks for any comments or discussion.

Adrian stephens. Church musician.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
(06-01-2014, 04:51 AM)adrian.stephens Wrote: I have a lot of sheet music where I know the artist, but not the album. The name of the artist is properly shown in the song list, but when I select that artist, they appear to have no songs. I believe this is because an album of "unknown" is treated specially. If I change this to unspecified, this appears in the artist's album list, as expected.

Is there anyway to control this behaviour? Alternatively, is there any way to bulk change the album for all unspecified songs. I have about 1000 in this category, so I don't want to do this by hand.

I believe I can do this by exporting the database, and connecting it to an access database using the sprite odd driver, writing an sol query to change all unknown to unspecified, and the re import the database. But this is a rather roundabout process, and there should be an easier way to do this.

Thanks for any comments or discussion.

Adrian stephens. Church musician.

I was wondering myself if the metadata for the artist and album associated with an mp3 could be read into the database when it is paired with a pdf in the database. That could save a lot of strokes.
That definitely sounds like a bug Adrian. The next version supports multiple artists/albums per song, but it uses the same model as a setlist (there is no longer a correlation between artist and album). I'm very confident that there should be no issues with the problem you are describing in the next update.

As for populating these fields based on an imported mp3, I can definitely add that as an option if it will help people. It would be turned off by default, as I'm not sure everyone uses artist and album, and neither field is required in the next update (you can leave fields blank if desired).

Mike
Thanks for the reply, zuberman. I eventually fixed things up by working with the database. Exported the database. Sq lite odbc to access. Renamed unknown to undefined in all albums, and the associated table. Created queries to inset missing album songs (speaking from memory, so might have the wrong table) and remove redundant ones - I saw instances of both.

to be constructively critical, the design of the schema could be changed to remove redundant information, I.e. to remove files or tables that can be derived from others unless there is a performance reason not to do so. This would reduce the risk of inconsistencies. We can chat if you're interested.
Regardless, this is a great program. Keep up the good work!

You'll have to see the new database layout after the next update. So much is changing that it would likely be a waste of time to evaluate the current schema. I'm always open to suggestions and recommendations though. Speed is definitely an important consideration, and I purposely split up data so that only the minimum necessary data has to be read at startup, whereas the other data that is only necessary when a song is loaded is loaded upon demand.

Mike