• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Musical note annotations
I'd like to see the ability to select and drop music notes onto the staff. Perhaps select note (e.g. whole, half, quarter, eighth) from a menu. Plus the ability to finely position it.

This would have really helped me out last night -- I needed to change a dotted quarter note to a plain quarter note followed by an eighth note. There wasn't enough blank space in the music to verbally write it. Using my stylus (Musemee Notier V2) I was easily able to cross out the dot, but I was unable to draw an eighth note (I tried at least 10 times) - I couldn't draw the filled-in-circle at the bottom and had a lot of trouble trying to draw the flag at the top.
That's kind of the point of the stamps in the annotations editor, but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired at the moment. Once I switch to using a font for the symbols, it will scale better and look a lot nicer. I also need to do some work on the touch response during free form drawing, as people have complained that it's too difficult to make detailed drawings if you aren't zoomed in.

Mike
Personally, I don't see this (and a few other things that have been discussed in the past) as a must-have feature for MS. MS is primarily a music display program. Although it has some minimal editing features, which may well be useful, it is not intended as a fully-fledged editing program.

I have expressed concern before about MS getting so overloaded with 'features' that the original concept gets buried and its current simplicity of use is compromised by all this added baggage. I'm sure you can all think of computer programs which have been down this very same path.

Personally, I would rather makes notes of any required changes on a bit of paper during rehearsal and then edit the affected PDF files at home, using a proper PDF editor, followed by a reload to the tablet and a backup to the main computer.

These changes will then remain permanently with the chart/s concerned and may be downloaded to any tablet running MS. As we are at this moment, annotations are not part of the main file, but stored separately in the database - if that becomes corrupted, then you lose them.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
It IS an essential feature for me. We often have to make notes/changes on our music, that's just a fact of choir life.

Rescanning/reloading music to MS for 1 or 2 annotation changes is a pain.

And as it turns out, I didn't have my printed music that night because the previous week I had loaned it to another person in my section and she wasn't there that night.

I'm not familiar with "stamps" - how would I access/use it to do this?
Graeme,
I understand where you are coming from and my priority is keeping MobileSheets free of too much feature bloat while still providing the critical features that users need. I think providing support for simple annotations, as I do now, is important for a large majority of users. Once I can change the code to actually write the annotations to the PDF itself, I think the feature will be more useful to everyone.

srothkin,
When you are in the annotations editor, there is a circle with an "S" at the top of the screen. This is the stamp tool. At the bottom right is a dropdown that you can tap to see a list of all of the different images you can drop on the sheet music. Select the image you want, and then tap on the score to drop it on that location. If you tap the circle at the top left, you can turn on the toolbox which has a nudge tool (the four arrows) that you can use to position the stamp correctly. I was working on a preview stamp window so you can see what is under your finger, but I never quite got it to work correctly, so I'm going to revisit it in a future update.

Mike
(07-16-2014, 10:17 PM)Zuberman Wrote: I think providing support for simple annotations, as I do now, is important for a large majority of users.

Oh, I agree with that completely. However, when users start to talk about "change a dotted quarter note to a plain quarter note followed by an eighth note", I think we are moving beyond the boundaries of what this application is about. That's the sort of thing that is best left to programs specifically intended for scoring, not one primarily designed to display a score.

NB: srothkin, I'm not having a personal dig at you, it was just that your post is the one that currently highlights an issue I have had, for some time, with feature bloat.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here