• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
storage logic
Hi Mike, first of all: your app is G R E A T !! Thanks. It's the best excuse for having a tablet. I've read you're extremely busy so no request for new functionality now. (Actually the best is already in it)
My main question is if the next assumptions are correct:
I've got a real book pdf containing ~300 songs. The file is 45 Mb. If I create 10 songs using this same pdf, 10 copies of this pdf will be stored in the private directory consuming almost half a Gb.
There are 2 alternatives:
- using bookmarks loosing all filter possibilities
- convert the pdf to images (the conversion process crashes on this file, apart from that it's less covenient than just selecting 1 or 2 pages in a pdf)

Is it possible to let these 10 songs point to the same pdf without the use of bookmarks?

Many thanks again Mike. Please only reply if time allows Smile

Oooops Mike posted this in the wrong forum I think. It should be in questions not in feature requests (yet).

Cheers, daLooney
(10-18-2012, 04:18 AM)daLoone Wrote: Hi Mike, first of all: your app is G R E A T !! Thanks. It's the best excuse for having a tablet. I've read you're extremely busy so no request for new functionality now. (Actually the best is already in it)
I've got a real book pdf containing ~300 songs. The file is 45 Mb. If I create 10 songs using this same pdf, 10 copies of this pdf will be stored in the private directory consuming almost half a Gb.
- convert the pdf to images (the conversion process crashes on this file, apart from that it's less covenient than just selecting 1 or 2 pages in a pdf)

Is it possible to let these 10 songs point to the same pdf without the use of bookmarks?

Oooops Mike posted this in the wrong forum I think. It should be in questions not in feature requests (yet).

Cheers, daLooney

Use a pdf file splitter then batch import. Definitely works.

(10-18-2012, 04:18 AM)daLoone Wrote: Hi Mike, first of all: your app is G R E A T !! Thanks. It's the best excuse for having a tablet. I've read you're extremely busy so no request for new functionality now. (Actually the best is already in it)

Cheers, daLooney

Cheers, daLooney

Cheers, daLooney

Thanks gman,

I think I just found the answer to my question...
1. Longpress the song after adding it and choose Swap PDF
2. Browse to ../android/data/com.zubersoft.mobilesheets/files
3. Select the pdf you want to reuse
4. In a file manager delete the other unused pdf

Besides importing a new pdf a new option in the future could be Use Existing PDF when adding a song.

Of course I could split the pdf first, as you suggested but then I would need to keep a huge library of image files and the original pdf for convenient browsing when adding new songs. I just want to reuse 1 pdf.
Thans again, really like this forum
Hello daLoone. To be honest, the easiest thing would be to just disable the file copying feature. Go into the song editor, open up the copy options by tapping the hammer and wrench icon, and uncheck the option to copy the song. MobileSheets will just use the PDF in the location you point it to. Create multiple songs and point them all to that same PDF.

I've got several major efforts ahead of me in the next couple months. This includes finishing annotations (very close), positional zoom & cropping, text & chordpro file support, continuous vertical scrolling support, two page view support, and completely reworking the handling of artists/albums/genres so that they are optional and handled more like setlists. The other thing I plan to do as soon as I can is improve the handling of real book PDF files by adding support for indexes, as well as introducing more intuitive features for breaking those PDFs up manually. Along the way I'm hoping to add more polish to MobileSheets, along with doing everything I can to simplify the interface and provide more guidance. It's going to be fun Smile

Mike
Mike,

Thanks for your fast and clear reply!! Didn't know there was already a simple solution for this. I'll have to take a look at all settings now!

The list of things you are working on is impressive. I do hope you survive MobileSheets (you will as it's a winner!).
In the meantime I will enjoy having all music with me 24x7. BTW personally I wouldn't hesitate paying for additional functionality.

Cheers,
daLooney
(10-18-2012, 03:21 PM)Zuberman Wrote: Hello daLoone. To be honest, the easiest thing would be to just disable the file copying feature. Go into the song editor, open up the copy options by tapping the hammer and wrench icon, and uncheck the option to copy the song. MobileSheets will just use the PDF in the location you point it to. Create multiple songs and point them all to that same PDF.

Mike,

Thanks for posting this, as I was going to post the same (or similar) question. However, I have noticed something odd when I uncheck the "Copy PDF/Image Files" checkbox in the song editor: it tries to copy them anyway! However, if the PDF has been added from the same folder that I designated as the removable storage location, then I briefly see an error message that the file couldn't be copied (probably because the source & destination filenames are the same). However, despite the error, the song is created correctly, and I can have multiple songs point to the same PDF.

I should mention that I also see this same error flash on the screen when I am creating songs from image files that are also saved to that folder.
Well that's not good. Thanks for bringing that to my attention Snard. I guess I have some more work to do in that area.