• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nexus 7 and landscape mode
I have a Nexus 7 and am currently trying out mobilesheetsfree. I'm still unsure whether a 7"er is big enough for sheet music. The only way it makes sense at all is landscape. I imported a pdf, set the zoom levels and tried to tap my way through two pages of music in landscape. Unfortunately mobilesheets showed only 2/3 othe page in total before switching to the next page.
I'm probably doing something wrong (i checked the two options concerning landscape). Could the problem lie in the 16:9 ratio of the tablet? Instead of the usual 4:3 10"ers the Nexus shows only roughly 1/3 of the page in landscape, thus needing three taps to scroll through the whole page.

Kind regards,

Mario
Sounds like there is a bug. I only have the Kindle Fire to test with, so I'll take a look at landscape mode with half page turns to see if I can replicate what you are seeing. If you disable half page turns, you can scroll the music up and down with your finger (or with a pedal), or turn on autoscroll to have MobileSheets scroll for you.

Mike
Use the zoom feature to optimize for your preferred orientation. Before purchasing my 10 inch tablet I tried a 7 inch. The 7 inch for me was acceptable for lyrics but for reading music most of us would prefer a 10 inch. With dropping prices you might get started with your excellent tablet and get everything set up knowing that you will likely eventually find a deall on a low cost 10 inch model.
I could never get half-page turns to work properly on my 10" Toshiba Thrive either - it would always skip a few lines. So I turned if off and just manually scroll down and then do a page turn. Using a bluetooth foot pedal, the smooth fixed scroll / next page worked great until the latest update, but now it doesn't work properly. When at the bottom of a page if I press the back pedal, instead of scrolling up toward the top of the page, it jumps to the previous page. I couldn't get any of the pg up/down styles to work with the new software in landscape mode, which is all I use. Even the pgdn action scrolls more "jumpy" than it did before, not smoothly. I uninstalled the new version and reinstalled the old one - thank goodness I saved it.

I have some more questions about annotations in the new version - hope this is a good place to put them?

1. What is stylus mode for? I turned it on and used my stylus, but couldn't make any annotations so just turned it back off.
2. What is the eye dropper supposed to do? I can't figure out how to use it and can't get it to do anything.
3. In landscape mode, can't annotate the bottom half of the page. Can't scroll down and next page takes you to the next real page.
4. When going into annotation mode zooming is turned off. Would be nice to display at current zoom level and also allow for further zoom in/out and scrolling around to make it easier to do smaller free form notes. Like the way that Adobe reader does it.
5. When I go out and back into annotation mode, the colors, stamps and other settings are reset back to the defaults. Would be nice to leave them as last selected.
I'll take care of the pedal scrolling issues this weekend, and try to get an update out on Sunday. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. As for your questions:

1) The idea behind the stylus mode is that it will only accept stylus commands while ignoring touch inputs from your fingers. I implemented the stylus support based on some features that Google exposes in handling touch events. Google is supposed to identify for me when a touch event is from a stylus, but apparently that is not working correctly for your tablet. Another user said that it worked correctly for the Galaxy Note, so I'm not sure what's going on there. What tablet/OS version do you have?
2. The eye dropper is supposed to change the current color selection to whatever you tap on. You can select an existing color, then change to the pen and draw using that color. I was just trying to provide another mechanism to select custom colors that may have been used.
3. There is currently a bug with annotations in landscape mode. Until I fix this, please create your annotations in portrait mode.
4. You can zoom in annotation mode by doing a pinch-zoom. You can also pan around using a two finger pan (both fingers must be aligned vertically or horizontally). Positional zooming is supported in annotation mode, so should be really easy to zoom in whenever you need to.
5. I will add this for the next update as well.
(10-26-2012, 03:54 PM)Zuberman Wrote: 1) The idea behind the stylus mode is that it will only accept stylus commands while ignoring touch inputs from your fingers. I implemented the stylus support based on some features that Google exposes in handling touch events. Google is supposed to identify for me when a touch event is from a stylus, but apparently that is not working correctly for your tablet. Another user said that it worked correctly for the Galaxy Note, so I'm not sure what's going on there. What tablet/OS version do you have?

Ahh, Google Note, that explains it. It has the fancy new "smart" stylus. I just have a regular tablet (Toshiba Thrive) where the stylus is the same as a finger so there's no way for Google to distinguish it from a finger.

2. The eye dropper is supposed to change the current color selection to whatever you tap on. You can select an existing color, then change to the pen and draw using that color. I was just trying to provide another mechanism to select custom colors that may have been used.

OK, thanks for the explanation.

3. There is currently a bug with annotations in landscape mode. Until I fix this, please create your annotations in portrait mode.

well, I can do that, but when I switch back to landscape to view the music the annotations get moved around. I'll just wait until you fix landscape mode.

4. You can zoom in annotation mode by doing a pinch-zoom. You can also pan around using a two finger pan (both fingers must be aligned vertically or horizontally). Positional zooming is supported in annotation mode, so should be really easy to zoom in whenever you need to.

I thought I tried this but maybe I wasn't using 2 fingers or didn't have them aligned. I'll try again when the update comes out.

5. I will add this for the next update as well.

You are really great at responding to fixes/suggestions. Thanks so much for this app. I'm convincing several people in my band to buy tablets and get your app. They're really impressed.
All my issues seem to be fixed with this latest version (10/29) - you are great! I finally got the zooming and scrolling working in annotation mode. Took me a while to find the exact finger positioning to get it to work though.
First, hello to all users of this forum!

I also have the nexus 7 and use it in landscape. When i use autoscroll the complete page is scrolling to the end and some lines are skipped. How can i fixed it or is it a bug?
By now i use the free edition.

Steffen
I need to provide additional options for specifying how far the auto-scroll should advance at a time. I'll try to take care of this as soon as I can.
(11-03-2012, 04:07 PM)Zuberman Wrote: I need to provide additional options for specifying how far the auto-scroll should advance at a time. I'll try to take care of this as soon as I can.

If I can help you with informations from my nexus or test something let me know! Smile

Steffen
Thanks Steffen, I'll let you know if I need any help.