• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
performance mode page turning
Hello,

I have been checking out the system with a view for live performances.

I dont really want to include a foot switch as most of the tunes are on a single lead sheet. I am used to turning pages on the fly so i can handle doing the same on a tablet.

I do however think it is vital to turn a page with minimum of fuss and maximum of feedback. Sometimes when i swipe the page to turn it, it doesn't do it, especially if the music stand (yamaha keyboard) is slightly wobbly.

My wish list :

As you swipe the page, you get visual feedback that the page is moving with the swipe.

I can achieve a forward page turn by a single touch to a pad somewhere.
(11-06-2012, 08:58 AM)pianopete Wrote: Hello,

I have been checking out the system with a view for live performances.

I dont really want to include a foot switch as most of the tunes are on a single lead sheet. I am used to turning pages on the fly so i can handle doing the same on a tablet.

I do however think it is vital to turn a page with minimum of fuss and maximum of feedback. Sometimes when i swipe the page to turn it, it doesn't do it, especially if the music stand (yamaha keyboard) is slightly wobbly.

My wish list :

As you swipe the page, you get visual feedback that the page is moving with the swipe.

I can achieve a forward page turn by a single touch to a pad somewhere.
If you tap on the right side of the page, it will flip to the next page. Likewise, tapping on the left side will flip to the previous page.
I spent some time looking for open source code for page flipping, and I found some great examples out there. I think I will be able to provide options for page flip animations for swiping and/or tapping the edges.
Hello,

I have tried tapping lhs and rhs. A vertical blue line shows up, but it is hit and miss.

The side ways swipe is also hit and miss even if i am using the tablet on a desk. Is there any way to improve that, as the tablet is only going to get touched to do a page turn.

There should be a larger landing area, as doing a page turn is done fast and cannot guarantee you'll hit the right place every time.

I wondered if it would be better to have an option that would combine all the pages into one and allow vertical scrolling. This might give better feedback.
Hi,

What tablet do you have? I've noticed that one of my tablets seems to be very responsive when it comes to finger presses (my Asus Transformer), while the other one (my HP Touchpad) seems to sometimes miss presses. I'll see what I can do to improve responsiveness. If this is a hardware issue for some reason, it may be outside my control. Hopefully that's not the case...

As a side note, I believe the detection area for page turns is either < 20% of the tablet width for a left turn or greater than 80% for a right turn. I can increase this to 25% on each side if people want. This will make it easier to accidentally turn a page when you are trying to center tap for the overlay though... In performance mode, tapping the left side of the screen still turns back one page, but tapping anywhere else turns to the next page.

I do plan to add vertical scrolling. I just haven't had enough time to implement it yet. I will hopefully have it done before the end of the year.
Hi,
I bought a cheapo COBY kyros mid1125 specifically for doing music display and nothing else.

Could it possibly that the tablet is upright and the finger contact is a lot less as the hand is horizontal ??
This is almost certainly a hardware issue. I initially bought a very cheap tablet to try the app out and the screen is just not responsive enough, you will have to 'tap' for up to half a second sometimes for it to register.

My Transformer Pad turns pages immediately and every time whether I tap the edges or swipe.
While what you have said is true, and I get similar results with my tablets, I have a number of fixes coming in the next update that should really help responsiveness for all tablets. I'm removing support for double-taps, as the Android gesture detector is much more sluggish with double tap detection on (because it has to wait after each tap motion to ensure that you aren't going to tap again). I'm also fixing the slow page turning issue.
Hello,

I am finding the double tap works more reliably than the side swipe.

If there was a single tap covering most of the RHS and LHS of the page it would work fine for me.

Since you are going to do away with the double tap, i don't want to get used to doing this !! When are you thinking of updating ??
I plan to update this weekend. I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but double tapping the sides is actually supposed to turn two pages. If it's only turning one page for you, that means that half of your taps are not even being registered by the tablet.

My plan at this time is to expand the range on the LHS and RHS tapping areas for turning pages. I'm going to replace the double-tap for overlay option with a press and hold option. With my testing so far, it seems to work quite well. With the increased speed for page turns and the improved responsiveness for tapping, quickly tapping twice to turn two pages works just as well as double tapping did.
Hi,

When you say you are removing support for double-tapping, do you mean as a finger action to bring up the overlay? I have changed the default configuration from single tap to double tap, since I found I was frequently bringing it up by accident while performing songs.

I guess if you remove this, I will switch to swipe up/down instead.

Thanks,
I am replacing the double tap with a press and hold option. You just press down, hold for a little more than half a second, release and the overlay will show. I think it works well, so hopefully it will meet your needs.